Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,108   Online: 1175

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to India

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    (arranged marriages are the norm)
    The wedding we are attending is an arranged marriage. The amazing thing is that both the bride and groom live and work in the U.S. He is a wall street computer programmer and she is a dentist. The grooms parents, who are our connection, live in Calcutta and are thoroughly modern and encouraged their son to date and find a "love match" The son said, "no mommy, you find me a wife"!

We have been "adopted" by the whole family and it is a wonderful friendship.
    (FWIW, they are the ones who warned of thievery!)
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    laz

Depending on region, here's what to expect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails indian-wedding.jpg  
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    laz

Depending on region, here's what to expect
    You are spot on with that pic, it will be a white horse. The groom's mom is my wife's graduate student so my beloved is learning a great deal about Hindu wedding planning!
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Medium Format

India

I spent a month on a big trip to Nepal and India last year. I took a Mamiya 7II and three lenses. It was a bit much. i think I would take a 35mm with a really wide lens and a 100 mm and maybe some kinda zoom if you can manage the weight.
    Bring your own film: if you take it out of the plastic containers and put it all in a ziplok bag you can get it inspected by hand most places except don't take any 400 or 800 speed because you will lose the argument in one or another airport and they will xray it.

I took facial tissues, not rolls of tp, it packs better.

Don't take too many clothes.

You will get sick, it is a very few that don't, but it's no big deal.

If you must take a big camera take a 4x5 for outings only. Keep a 35 around your neck. They won't steal it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is a Jain wedding then? So was ours. We were met at the wedding hall (more like an arena) by two elephants saluting. The groom rode in on a white mare. The bride wore a dress so heavily adorned with jewels she needed help standing up. The ceremony lasted for hours.

And then we danced ... and danced ... and it rained ... and we danced (did I mention this was outdoors?) ... and it rained some more. Ah, the memories.

-Ben

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Diss
    This is a Jain wedding then?
    Our friends are sikh. Wedding celebrations everywhere are more cultural than religeous. The basic structure of Wedding celebrations are basicly the same the world round. 1) Pre wedding ritual (think groom can't see the bride) 2) religeous ceremony performed by a "priest" of some sort 3) Big party!
    rlazell@optonline.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin