Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,674   Online: 931

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, North Norway in March has some of the most magical light on the planet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael,
    Whether you were going to Europe or anywhere else, I strongly advise you to get film developed as you go. That way, if there were any problems you have an opportunity to re-shoot whilst on location. There's nothing worse than coming back from a trip only to discover there's been a cock-up and you've lost images.

I'm sure people here will advise you of decent labs in the different countries. The same goes for sources of film, Europe is not quite the desert some people may believe, in fact you can probably getting a wider range of films than you are used to.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray
    Actually, North Norway in March has some of the most magical light on the planet.
    Yes it is true! It it so transparent and clean! I was suprised reading the previous post about dark and flat. Frankly I thought it was a joke...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray
    Of course it was. I like to tease every guy who is a Viking descendant.

I actually want to visit North North norway sometime in the future, do you think that I should choose March as the best time to do it ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I spent two weeks at the end of March and the beginning of April in Lofoten a few years ago. That was in my climbing days, so I was only photographing with handheld 35 mm, but the views and the light were breathtaking. I have also been there in the summertime, and aesthetically there is no comparison. Were I to go back I would pick that time.

We had about 12 hours each day when we could climb or hike without headtorches. Golden hour lasted all day. The snow line was down at sea level - even the skerries had snow on them - but you had to climb up a ways to get really deep snow banks. Lots of frozen waterfalls and natural ice sculptures. Daytime temperatures varied a lot, depending on the weather fronts, between +5 and -20 °C. Most of the time the weather was bad for climbing (and I'm used to Scottish winters), but hiking to photograph would be fine and car-based photography easy.

If you go earlier, the days are shorter but the killer/Orca whales are around if you want to photograph them. If you're interested in the yearly fishing bonanza in the Vestfjörd it peaks is a little earlier too, although there was still plenty of landing and hanging up of fish when we were there.

South of Lofoten the snow melts earlier, but the days are longer earlier too. Further North it stays cold and dark for longer, but then you get entire mountains plastered white in foot-thick snow and rimfrost turning pink at sunset. I once did some ski-touring up round Tromsö in late February and that too was spectacular, although I'd take Lofoten as my first love.

Michael: sorry to hijack your thread.
    Last edited by Struan Gray; 11-18-2005 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Annoying typos (Left in the non-annoying ones)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin