Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,829   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

6 Weeks in Europe

Hey all,

Im going for a solo trip to Europe in March (England, France, Italy, maybe Germany and Switzerland)

Ill be traveling by train and most likely staying in hostels...

any tips for a photographer for a trip of this nature and duration in regards to traveling with film and equipment?

I've been to Europe several times, but this was before I started taking photography seriously - some of my concerns are traveling with film, and whether or not it'll make sense to ship the film back home as I go or keep it with me....

Im trying to plan this out as best I can so any experinces anyone can share or tips would be great to hear.

...dont know if this matters but im a medium format shooter so my hassy is coming with me, along with my trusty nikon f100

thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsalomon
    I've been to Europe several times, but this was before I started taking photography seriously - some of my concerns are traveling with film, and whether or not it'll make sense to ship the film back home as I go or keep it with me....
    You shouldn't have any problems with your film. If you don't want to have your film developed while on your trip, then just send it home; FedEx is all over Europe.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsalomon
    Hey all,

Im going for a solo trip to Europe in March (England, France, Italy, maybe Germany and Switzerland)

Ill be traveling by train and most likely staying in hostels...

any tips for a photographer for a trip of this nature and duration in regards to traveling with film and equipment?

Im trying to plan this out as best I can so any experinces anyone can share or tips would be great to hear.

...dont know if this matters but im a medium format shooter so my hassy is coming with me, along with my trusty nikon f100

thanks,
    Mike
    most contryes in europe knows or remembers what film is /was.....

you can visit me and stay for free, if you like.
    i have a big darkroom with 12-14 enlargers...
    and you can develop as much as you please..

it is in Denmark, mind you.. the very top of the continent..
    close to the end of the world.

best regards
    emil

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    it is in Denmark, mind you.. the very top of the continent..
    close to the end of the world.
    .. or you could continue north, and visit me at the end of the world?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    .. or you could continue north, and visit me at the end of the world?
    Ole, how do you know when the world is going to end? Have I missed something on CNN?

Shooter
    35mm
    Bring enough film when you travel because some parts Europe, it's hard to get your favorite kind(s) of film when you need it.

Shooter
    35mm
    England in March the weather tends to be fairly dull so unless you are bringing a tripod (which can be quite a nuisance to haul around) I'd recommend having ISO 400 films with you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are in the UK over April 21-23rd come on up to Yorkshire for the Gathering Of The UK APUG Clan. I'm sure we can arrange transportation...

In the UK, MF film can be a bit difficult to obtain in the high street outside of the cities.

You probably already know about them, but joining your local Youth Hostel organization gets you access to the UK's network of hostels (www.yha.org.uk & www.syha.org.uk)

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I hide in your suitcase?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't forget Austria and the Netherlands, they're going to be in your way and there are interesting things to see there.

Denmark is too flat and Norway too dark (in March). I wouldn't recommend them... :-)

PS. Yes, Emil, the Netherlands is as flat as Denmark but it's more fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin