Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,249   Online: 803

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

shooting headstones

got a question to ask. anyone here ever shoot headstones. it's been foggy lately and am thinking of going up to either carbonado or wilkinson to shoot some headstones in infrared. is this possible? i just thought the effect of fog around headstones and infrared would really be cool!! any thoughts?? has any had this experience, if so let me know as i plan on going there tomorrow. i plan on shooting 1 shot with ilford black/white, 1 with velvia, and 2 with infrared(mostly because the other two are already loaded films listed). i hope to be able to get printed and scanned by the end of the week, and hopefully on the site for everyone check out. gotta go, will check back later for responses!
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you are in the Puget Sound area, my favorite little cemetary to shoot at is the Saar Pioneer Cemetary at the 212th exit on SR167 in Kent. It has some really old tombstones and one with the name of "Baby Monster".

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love shooting headstones - at least until I run across my own. But, I've never tried IR. Thinking about it for the situation you describe, though, I'm a little dubious. I doubt there will be much IR light on a foggy day.

Ilford FP4+ dev in DD-X, Leica M6, 50mm DR Summicron
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used IR on stones, you can get very different looking images because the stones can reflect IR in strange ways. Mostly its from the different minerals mixed in. I've shot some marble that showed much more contrast in the streaks and inclusions with IR than visible. Then the moss, it turns white and if the stone is very dark it makes a glaring contrast.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    The IR film used could cut right thru the fog layer, I think. It can be used for reducing smoke/haze.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used IR in dull lighting for tomb stones; see

example

I'm not sure it does much for the stones, but it helps isolated them from the background.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wow, that is a pretty dynamic image.

You sure isolated the stones from the background, no doubt about it.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I've used IR in dull lighting for tomb stones; see

example

I'm not sure it does much for the stones, but it helps isolated them from the background.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was thinking IR wouldn't do anything on an overcast day. Now i am a believer. I second magic's suggestion. Acually it's the monster family plot. I haven't been there since they cleaned it up. I think it had more drama when it was neglected.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin