Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,647   Online: 821

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    OK, I know going to a Marine climate in January isn't the first choice for most. But a friend invited me to go to Ireland with her over New Years. I know she wants to visit Dublin and Devil's Causeway. What recommendations do people have? Thanks!
    Well if you are heading from Dublin to The Giant's Causeway, may I suggest a little detour into County Meath where you can visit Newgrange, The Hill of Tara, Trim Castle (my home town) Bective Abbey (Oldest in Ireland) and lots of other historical sites.

Known as the Heritage capital of Ireland, Meath is full of Castles, Abbeys, Round Towers etc. The towns of Trim and Navan are good places to base yourself for a few days as they are both located short drives from the places mentioned above and are less then a hours drive from Dublin.

Bring as much film as you can as Dublin & Belfast may be your only options for purchases of medium & large format.

If I can help any further, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    I was just in Dublin in Sept/Oct, and was sad Ididn't get to see more of it. I visited Newgrange, as was mentioned, and it was breathtaking.

Getting film was an issue. Thankfully I'd taken a gazillion rolls with me, but getting colour was tricky too. I got some from Camera Exchange in George St, but their range was small, and virtually non-existant in 120. Take stuff with you.

I loved what I took in Ireland, but there is always that feeling that there is so much more! Living in Australia makes popping over prohibitive though I envy those in the US..it's a day trip in comparison! LOL

This is my favourite shot from Dublin. THis little leprechauny guy was in an antique shop around the corner from our apartment on Lower Ormand Quay. He seemed to sum it all up for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0007-005web.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just an update, I'll be flying out in 4 hours and it looks like I'm going hardcore and taking the 4x5. If an American photographer falls into the Atlantic while photographing Irish coastal castles, it's probably me. :0)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weather on Tuesday and Wednesday might be suitable, enjoy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Conn's Cameras in Dublin carries pretty much all of Fuji and Kodak in 35mm and 120 and their 5 roll deals also make them cheaper than most. Its a short distance off Grafton street but possibly not where most tourists would be looking. They are good in other ways than film availability too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If anyone is heading to the Giants Causeway in the north coast of Northern Ireland, you should know that it is National Trust property. So you need to have permission and pay them some money if you are professional. Or else, don't say a word and if you get rumbled tell them you're a student from the Art College!

Newgrange is another great site. The negs from that shoot are my next project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin