Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,245   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ireland in January?

OK, I know going to a Marine climate in January isn't the first choice for most. But a friend invited me to go to Ireland with her over New Years. I know she wants to visit Dublin and Devil's Causeway. What recommendations do people have? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    OK, I know going to a Marine climate in January isn't the first choice for most. But a friend invited me to go to Ireland with her over New Years. I know she wants to visit Dublin and Devil's Causeway. What recommendations do people have? Thanks!
    Do you mean Giant's Causeway? In Northern Ireland?

If so, it is a wonderful and spectacular place to photograph. Might be a tad chilly in January though! It is a good 6-8 hour drive from Dublin as I remember.

Bill

Images

Film

Take plenty of film with you the choice "off the shelf" in Ireland is limited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    january will be cold but should be good light for you.

what formats/film do you intend using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fintan: If I bring my TLR I'll be shooting whatever ISO 100 film I have at the time. If I bring my 4x5, I'll shoot probably Tri-X or Efke 100. Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    What recommendations do people have?
    Dublin has many wonderful Georgian buildings. So if you're interested in architecture then there'll be plenty. Of course Ireland is also an island so there's plenty of coastline - the southwest is particularly dramatic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You should know that there is a danger that if you go to Dublin first, then the hospitality may just trap you for the duration.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    You should know that there is a danger that if you go to Dublin first, then the hospitality may just trap you for the duration.
    That's very true. I came to Dublin for a 4 week project in the Summer: I'm still here. It's a great place to be trapped though :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ireland in January is warmer than New England in January. You may encounter a brief snowfall, but it melts in a day or 2. The best aprt is----very few tourists so you'll have most of the place to yourself. I have been there 20+ times and I have only discovered a small part of the country.

My recommendation, assuming you are landing in Dublin, is to enjoy the pubs and photograph the city with a few brief outings to the country. If you really want to see Ireland, land in Shannon and stay in the West of Ireland.

Slainte (pronounced "slontcha") is Irish for "cheers", that should start you on your way

Shooter
    35mm

Ireland

Off the shelf products, ilford & Kodak in Dublin only.... gunn, Georges St and camera Exchange Georges St

dingle Co Kerry
    Louisbourg Co Mayo................Nature mountains, the sea

Any part of the rural hinterland ..........people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin