Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,438   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I love the UK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    Its always great to read good reports from people on trips. I've bad news though, the British Guinness is digital, we do analog Guinness in here in Ireland
    I thought the EU was all metric?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dare we hope that our police are getting better or was it just that your name didn't contain the words Austin and Mitchell and your i.d. proved that you were not in fact a well known photography loving Labour MP attending his own party's conference.

I have heard of the "enemy within" but surely not that far within.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Its always great to read good reports from people on trips. I've bad news though, the British Guinness is digital, we do analog Guinness in here in Ireland
    All the Guinness sold in the UK is now brewed in dublin. they shut the London Brewery down and took production back to Ireland due to the drop in sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    All the Guinness sold in the UK is now brewed in dublin. they shut the London Brewery down and took production back to Ireland due to the drop in sales.
    I didnt realise that but my digital comment was to do with the pump, they are always levers that control the flow over here i.e. analog. I was in a pub once over there and the bar lady pushed a button on the tap, filled the glass in one go. :o

If its the same stout, howcome it tastes so awful over there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Must admit that one of my dreams before leaving this world is to vist with Les and share a pint in his local pub. If the peoples of the UK or anything like Les, what a wonderfull place to visit it will be. And of course a trip to Ireland will be required, since that is where the family came from (Drumbeg, Antrim, Ireland). Of course there will be a great deal of photography involved along the way...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didnt realise that but my digital comment was to do with the pump, they are always levers that control the flow over here i.e. analog. I was in a pub once over there and the bar lady pushed a button on the tap, filled the glass in one go. :o

If its the same stout, howcome it tastes so awful over there?
    Probably one of those crappy fake 'themed' pubs like JD Weatherspoons. Go in a real spit and sawdust pub, the kind that doesn't have music at 1000 decibels and is not crawling with teenagers, and you'll see and taste a difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I LIKE Weatherspoons pubs! They have no music or slot machines and always have a couple or three guest beers as well as whatever is local. They do tend to get crowded at weekends though...

The fake Irish pubs however should be smashed up, burnt to the ground and the ashes collected and dropped into the deepest trench in the Atlantic....

As for food: Restaurant Magazine's Top Ten for 2005:

1 The Fat Duck, Bray, Berkshire, Britain
    2 El Bulli, Montjoi, Spain
    3 French Laundry, California
    4 Tetsuya’s, Sydney, Australia
    5 Gordon Ramsay, London, Britain
    6 Pierre Gagnaire, Paris, France
    7 Per Se, New York, New York
    8 Tom Aikens, London, Britain
    9 Jean Georges, New York, New York
    10 St John, London, Britain

I.E. 4 of the top ten, including the No1 slot goes to restaurants in the UK...

For Michelin: with a total of 230 stars, UK restaurants are beaten only by France - big surprise - (620) and Italy (255) - then comes Germany (212) and Spain (123).

None of which is much comfort if you make the mistake of ordering a deep fried Pizza with a deep fried Mars Bar and pineapple rings for desert in Scotland...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    I.E. 4 of the top ten, including the No1 slot goes to restaurants in the UK...
    I don't doubt it. But if you want something to eat and haven't booked 6 months in advance and sold your youngest into slavery to raise the cash, you are left with the a dismal choice between terrible fast food joints.
    By the way,it really irritates me the way Mcdonalds call their places 'restaurants'. As far as I'm concerned a restaurant servers ones food on crockery, eaten with cutlery; it doesn't assume all their customers still eat their food like babies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    I don't doubt it. But if you want something to eat and haven't booked 6 months in advance and sold your youngest into slavery to raise the cash, you are left with the a dismal choice between terrible fast food joints.
    By the way,it really irritates me the way Mcdonalds call their places 'restaurants'. As far as I'm concerned a restaurant servers ones food on crockery, eaten with cutlery; it doesn't assume all their customers still eat their food like babies.
    You looked in the wrong places. Most Indian restaurants do not require pre-booking, neither do chinese. Then there's good old fish 'n' chips. Did you try eating in pubs? The majority of pubs do great food.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lived for a year in West Sussex back in the early 70's and found that i could get to love the food as long as a pint of some magical brew accompanied it. It wasn't just the Guinness, either. Gale's Ales- or any of the real ale pubs usually had some pretty amazing stuff in a glass that I could find someone local to tell me about. For the cost of a pint, I made many good friends- and I usually left a few pints ahead, as they tried to show the Yank a good time.

About a year ago I was back, in Ireland this time, and no matter how local I got - small pub in a village in County Mayo - the Guinness was cold, not cellar temp, but freezing cold. They told me that some government board had decided that the beer had to be refrigerated or it might cause disease. Funny, but generations of people seem to have done all right with warm beer. To add to the depression, I found that creeping Americanization had taken over in the pubs too. Young men were sitting around me drinking Bud Light - and that's not even beer, let alone good beer.

You know, America has wonderful things going for it. Why is it that the crap is what gets exported? The UK doesn't need Bud Light, they make the best beer in the world. Not to forget the Germans, the Belgians, the Dutch, the Australians, etc, but I do love a good stout.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin