Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,966   Online: 1083

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I love the UK

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Haggis

"I love the smell of Haggis in the morning
    it smiles like............"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    You looked in the wrong places. Most Indian restaurants do not require pre-booking, neither do chinese. Then there's good old fish 'n' chips. Did you try eating in pubs? The majority of pubs do great food.
    Andy:

This is exactly what my wife told me for years before our visit. However, our extremely unscientific sample of -1- did not confirm this. The first place we went after checking into our hotel was the closest pub. They actually had a butcher type display case with some pretty nice looking steaks for not much money. We happily ordered two and waited.

They cooked them. And cooked them, and ... Well, they were reduced to shoe leather. :o Oh, well.

Still, for the rest of our trip, we ate very well. The wife had learned to love Indian food on her first visit to Britain (before we met).

The only thing we did not get and wished we had, was the "spotted dick". Inquiring Colonial minds want to know: what is a "spotted dick"?

Cheers, y'all.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spotted Dick is a steamed or boiled pudding made with suet dough and raisins. Similar to Treacle Pudding. Served with hot custard it is delicious!

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Desserts...british__1.htm

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    A shout out to the UK and all the people there. I LOVE YOU GUYS! Everyone should go to London to photograph. The people are uniformally positive and helpful. I was cleared and needn't be bothered. How very civilized. .
    At Gatwick airport My wife and I were asked to leave the ticket line. We were taken to a secured room and our luggage was searched. What they found in my luggage was 23 very large Cadbury bars. They all got a good laugh when I explained that I was taking them to supply my English and Irish friends in the States.
    While youse guys are having a food fight I would just like to point out that Jack is also to be commended. In each of these episodes he was obviously calm, polite and maintained a sense of humor throughout.

In other words he acted with respect to these people whose jobs are often none too easy. You mostly get what you give in this life. Although I'm not terribly nationalistic I want to thank Jack for representing Americans as something other than the brash obnoxious minority you so often hear about.

-Bob <humming a few bars of God Bless America, mixed with God Save The Queen >
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Andy:

This is exactly what my wife told me for years before our visit. However, our extremely unscientific sample of -1- did not confirm this. The first place we went after checking into our hotel was the closest pub. They actually had a butcher type display case with some pretty nice looking steaks for not much money. We happily ordered two and waited.

They cooked them. And cooked them, and ... Well, they were reduced to shoe leather. :o Oh, well.
    I have to admit you take pot luck with steak steak over here unless you go to a proper restaurant, however, you were probably unlucky and found a bad pub. Personally when asked how I'd like my steak I say, <cliche alert> "Pull it's horns out and wipe it's backside!" </end cliche alert>

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's more to the UK than London. Its a whole continent in microcosm: The Lake District; the coastal cliffs and marshes; The Peak District and the Yorkshire Moors and Dales, as well as a wide range of towns and cities, all built in local vernacular styles and materials. Don't stick to the obvious, try cities such as Newcastle upon Tyne as well as Durham or Glasgow as well as Edinburgh.
    And by the way - post 9/11 the police are not quite so accommodating!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I live in the [north] Uk and the food is great. My partner just cooked up some potato cake with chick peas and we had that with brocoli, carrots and onions - all washed down the a glass of local Millstone ale. and i didn't even have to leave home :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GFDarlington
    There's more to the UK than London. Its a whole continent in microcosm: The Lake District; the coastal cliffs and marshes; The Peak District and the Yorkshire Moors and Dales, as well as a wide range of towns and cities, all built in local vernacular styles and materials. Don't stick to the obvious, try cities such as Newcastle upon Tyne as well as Durham or Glasgow as well as Edinburgh.
    You are so right..... I've spent very little time in the UK, but the time I spent there was fantastic. I thought the country was stunningly beautiful.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin