Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,794   Online: 947

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I love the UK

Shooter
    8x10 Format

I love the UK

A shout out to the UK and all the people there. I LOVE YOU GUYS! Everyone should go to London to photograph. The people are uniformally positive and helpful. The landscape in London yells"Photograph me". Even the police are courteous. I was photographing in centrtal London when out of the corner of my eye I could see red lights flashing. No sirens just lights. This has happened before and I knew what to expect. They were there to see what I was doing. An 8x10 camera can look suspicious. They gently backed me against a wall while they sent my passport information through their computer. They just chit chatted about photography and such. It was all very informal and relaxed but make no mistake, I wasn't going anywhere nor was I going to challenge these two substantial guys. I was working around the New Scotland Yard and they explained that there were sensitive government buildings in the area. When they were content that my intentions were peaceful they wrote me a ticket. Not a ticket in the American sense. This ticket was to show other police that I was cleared and needn't be bothered. How very civilized. There was alarge crowd gathering around the corner at Westminster Abbey and someone told me that the Queen was making an appearance. I began walking over there but was deterred when I saw the police or military guarding the area with machine guns. I detoured. Better safe than sorry.
    At Gatwick airport My wife and I were asked to leave the ticket line. We were taken to a secured room and our luggage was searched. What they found in my luggage was 23 very large Cadbury bars. They all got a good laugh when I explained that I was taking them to supply my English and Irish friends in the States. Anyway. I've been there three times and I'm yet to see the countryside because the city is endlessly fascinating. Go there . Photograph. Have High Tea. Have a Guiness or three. That English food, well thats another story
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's also a great eatery in London that has a four-page Vodka menu.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Have a Guiness or three. That English food, well thats another story
    Jack

Thanks for the kind words about your experiences in the UK but I'd question your comments about "That English food" especially as you are from the country that invented junk food and serves it up by the tonne

Next time you cross the pond Jack treat yourself to a pint of Guiness in a scruffy pub in Ireland and I promise that you'll never have another one in England.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the people in the UK are great, and while I really don't like London, I think the country is one of the most beautiful I have ever visited.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Old Sports Car joke:
    "Q: Why do the English drink warm beer?"
    "A: because they have Lucas refrigerators."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also have had several pleasant trips to England and always enjoy shooting there, but haven't brought the big camera yet. I seem always to be shooting 6x6 in England, so I've stuck with that (either my Bronica S2A kit when I have more time for photography, or the little Perkeo II when I'm just in and out for an academic conference), and it gives a kind of formal unity to them all.

Haven't had any police hassles yet, but I have had someone ask me "is that a Hasselblad?"
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would absolutely agree with the original post in its entirety -- except that I've found some fantastic food there. The Eagle is one of those restaurants I'll be visiting every year.

I just finalized plans to be back in London and West Sussex in March. I really could live there quite happily.

Les, I'm looking forward to taking your advice. I expect to finally make it to Ireland in the next year or two. My travel schedule is packed for 2006.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When in London, I like to stay in Bailey's Hotel in Kensington (Gloucester Road stop--good rates from http://www.superbreak.com), and highly recommend eating at the Bombay Brasserie there, if you like Indian food. I've had a number of good meals as well at a moderately priced French bistro called La Bouchee not too far away from there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs

Les, I'm looking forward to taking your advice. I expect to finally make it to Ireland in the next year or two. My travel schedule is packed for 2006.
    Cheryl, just make sure that when you enter the bar they have partly filled pints of Guiness standing along the bar just waiting to be completely filled. If you are in Belfast go to Robinsons bar opposite the Europa Hotel in the city centre, I was there last Tuesday and the pint of the black stuff was wonderful.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its always great to read good reports from people on trips. I've bad news though, the British Guinness is digital, we do analog Guinness in here in Ireland

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin