Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,521   Posts: 1,543,798   Online: 773

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Question? (Summer Internships)

I didn't really know where to post this as I'm relatively new, but this was the closest thing I could come too. I'm a student photographer and this summer I have to intern. The issue is I live in Alabama and I really, really don't want to intern down at "Sally's Captured Moments" and other places of a similiar nature. I would really like to intern somewhere where I can learn something about the art of photography, not the art of school portraits (although I do understand it can be a necessary evil). I've searched the internet to no avail and so I thought I would inquire as to whether or not anyone here knew of a good place where I could learn something without having to move across the continent for a summer. Any suggestions would be helpful though.
    Thanks,
    Erin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My suggestion, Erin, would be to think about what you want to gain from the summer intern experience, and how that will fit with your ultimate career goals (recognizing that current goals might change in the future). Although your local community might be limited to consumer portrait shops, there are larger metro areas in Alabama that may offer a wider choice. Once you move from your local area, however, you might as well move to an area that has what you are looking for. Remember, however, that there is both the technical side, and the business/practical side to the experience. Both are essential.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erin -

Contact Andy Schmitt, director of the photography program at Peters Valley Craft Center, http://www.pvcrafts.org/ . He will be looking for an intern/studio assistant for next summer. The job doesn't pay very well, but it provides a great opportunity to experience a broad range of photographic activities (traditional, alternative, digital, portraiture and nude, large format), associate with some of the best photographers out there (Ernestine Ruben, Tillman Crane, et al), while living in a delightful and forgotten corner of New Jersey ("3/4 of the state is nice") with a group of other students who are very interested in arts and crafts activities (potters, jewelry makers, woodworkers, weavers, blacksmiths, etc).

By the way, you know that in a college commencement address several years ago, Bill Cosby defined "intern" to be the French term for "slave".

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was about to write and suggest Peter's Valley but Louie beat me to it. The intern last year never showed up for the first day. It's a chance to learn from some of the best in photography and a lot of other skills too. Plus you get to meet Monophoto and Photobum too. Now nothing could top that for a summer's education.

Don't be mislead by the Soprano's. It's country and your dorm would be...rustic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't worry I'm from Alabama, nothing would surprise me as far as "rustic" conditions go. My mother didn't even having running water until she was fifteen. Her relatives make very interesting subjects.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin