Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,511   Online: 979

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I LOVE PARIS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    ...And by all means take you biggest tripods and large format cameras with you. The best place to photograph is the National Assembly building next to the Orsay. The city is really clean, except for one place the tour guide kindly pointed out, American Park. It looked like a run down dirty needle park. They seen to love Americans. Tip generously they don't have a very high tax on anything. I think its 20 to 30 percent. I saw a waiter go to the manager with the tip I gave him and he said can I keep it. The manager seem to split it with him, so slip the tip into his pocket.

Really this is humbug. The American Park is really really dirty but Paris is clean and friendly and tipping is small. The tax is high but it's their system. The best thing in Paris is the Louvre. After that everything else is just nice.
    Hi Curt,

Being an AIP (American In Paris) and an LF photographer, I can assure you that it would be a great hassle to bring a big tripod here. I suppose it could be done, but permits are required to photograph in most parks and in front of major monuments with a tripod. Multiply that by forty students. As I've posted elsewhere on this form, the thinking seems to be: "Tripod=Professional. Professional=Money. Money="We want our share". THAT'S the "real" France! Any instance of dog-doo or rudeness pale in comparison ...

Taxes on restaurant food is 19.66%. As I write this, there's a big controversy in France around the promised reduction of this tax. President Chirac said he'd roll the tax back to 5.5% —the same rate McDonald's and other fast-fooders pay. But he knew in advance that the European Union wouldn't allow it. So now he can say it's not his fault, but the restauranteers are still howling, "We don't care ... you promised! But enough local politics. What's important to know is that a 15% tip is usually included in the price of your meal. Extra tips left by customers are sometimes pooled and shared by all of the waitpeople, which might explain why the waiter you described asked his manager if he could keep his tip.

By the way, what and where is this "American Park"? I've never heard of it!

Lastly, to confirm .. Yes, Paris is a very beautiful city. Anyone wanna contact me for a non-touristic foot-tour (time-willing, and with advance notice), no problem. Dinner's on you, but you'll have your just desserts.

Prague is beautiful too, especially the historic old center. I used to live there too. The people are wonderful. Not as many cafés as Paris, but plenty of beer! BOTH cities have beautiful women. That's why there's a good train system in Europe!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't tell you where it is because we had just arrived and took the "city tour". The tour guide slowed down and pointed it out. It didn't look very big. He pointed out a George Washington statue just after it though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Have old you folks that ILOVE PARIS?
    I appreciate your enthusiasm for Paris, I've been there myself. While I don't believe all the stereotypes about the French, I'll still take Germany over France any day.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos
    I can assure you that it would be a great hassle to bring a big tripod here. I suppose it could be done, but permits are required to photograph in most parks and in front of major monuments with a tripod. Multiply that by forty students. As I've posted elsewhere on this form, the thinking seems to be: "Tripod=Professional. Professional=Money. Money="We want our share". !
    Confirms my informations:
    Pro photogs working in Paris have told me years ago that a tripod can cause trouble when the police passes by. I used it anyway at night at places where the police seldom comes to, but one should know the facts.

Concerning the city itself I'd like to add a thought. What makes Paris so unique is the fact that it is a 4-dimensional place. The first 3 dimensionsn for the geograpical structure, because leaving aside the Banlieus the inner Paris with 2 millions of inahabitants consists of a bunch of several and totally different cities.
    the 4th dimensinon is the time. 1000 years of history have left back architectural witnesses, and many many of them are are still there !

It had not worked always as it should have worked ( see Les Halles, Italy Belleville etc) but Paris conserves it's really huge historical heritage with an enormous effort and this makes it unique.

Eugen Atget photgraphed Paris from 1890 to 1925 with a huge old glass plate camera for documentary purposes because he saw his "Old Paris" vanishing. But following his tracks you find more places which stayed untouched then vanished ones, after almost 100 years. Amazing experience.

One should know tho the basics of the Parisian history, especially the last 400 years, otherwise one does not open up the fascination and attraction which is below the touristic surface.
    But thisis a prerequisite anyway for all famous cities you want to visit, isn't it ?

Regards,
    bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin