Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,275   Posts: 1,534,698   Online: 978

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quito, Equador

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    Keep your valuables in a pouch under your shirt. I lost an American Express card before my eyes. Those women are about eye level with my waist so they are crafty pick pockets (I am only 5'10").
    That's what bras are for!
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are other scenic photo spots in Ecuador outside of Quito and the Galapagos. Otavalo market, Banos, and the portraits one can take all along the pan american highway. Landscapes also abound due to the terrain, and with patience LF works, but in general I would stick 35 MM, and normal focal length lens will be used. Mountains such as Cotopaxi, Imbabura(sp) and others, are beautiful. In fact, I would put Ecuador at the top of the list as one of the most photogenic spots anywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm from Quito, but right now live in North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Anybody in Quito?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having visited the Galapagos a couple of times my advice would be to go with the 35mm gear.
    Take a smaller bag with you, and pack a 50, 28 and 200 mm or similar. The longest lens is very useful for some wildlife, and the 28 will be great for some of the landscapes.
    A monopod or a light rtripod maybe useful. Waterproof case/bag while not indispensable is not required, I have sailed around the islands is very small boats and have never had any problem.
    Take lots of color film and some BW if you prefer.

If you are lucky you may see some lava coming off in Fernandina Island. and black and white would be anatural choice for those lava flows.

In the islands you maybe really safe, if you can wander off and walk around the orange groves near San Cristobal you maybe surprised.

If you are going to visit Quito, be careful with pickpockets and thieves. Unfortunately safety has decreased a lot in the last years.

PM me if you want to talk

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Jerold, Thanks again for sharing so much of your experience. I'm really vacillating on whether to go with a minimalist LF kit or a full blown 35mm kit (I have no MF gear). A few days ago, I was totally convinced that 35mm was the only practical option. Now, I'm swinging back to the 4x5 wood field. I think I could manage the LF kit in a Pelican case. Perhaps, the 1550 - I believe that is about the largest Pelican than can legally be carried on to a commercial flight these days.

My first instinct was to go with the LF gear...how many times have I looked back on a decision and said to myself "I should have trusted my instincts". I just need to gather up the intestinal fortitude to go for it!

(got my shots today)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Having visited the Galapagos a couple of times my advice would be to go with the 35mm gear.
    Take a smaller bag with you, and pack a 50, 28 and 200 mm or similar. The longest lens is very useful for some wildlife, and the 28 will be great for some of the landscapes.
    A monopod or a light rtripod maybe useful. Waterproof case/bag while not indispensable is not required, I have sailed around the islands is very small boats and have never had any problem.
    Take lots of color film and some BW if you prefer.

If you are lucky you may see some lava coming off in Fernandina Island. and black and white would be anatural choice for those lava flows.

In the islands you maybe really safe, if you can wander off and walk around the orange groves near San Cristobal you maybe surprised.

If you are going to visit Quito, be careful with pickpockets and thieves. Unfortunately safety has decreased a lot in the last years.

PM me if you want to talk
    titrisol, Thanks! I received your PM. I may call you sometime today - if time permits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my pleasure...
    BTW Google earth has updated most of the Quito and surrondings area, so now it is in high resolution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin