Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,148   Online: 1031

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeremy,

Really enjoying hearing about your trip. Every day I like to read what you've been up to! Couldn't afford to buy a print before you left. Maybe when you get back I will try and purchase one if they will still be for sale. Is your girlfriend a member of Apug as well? Keep shooting and keep having a blast!

BWKate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday was exciting as I almost fell off of the Takamatsu port water break in the 40+mph gusting winds. So what did I do while I was out there? I set of the 3x4 camera of course! Was splashed a whole bunch of times by the surf and had to grab the camera twice to keep it from falling over, but the composition looked so great I couldn't pass it up. I shot an image of myself on the 35mm of me with the LF in the background. Was really glad that I decided to get a UV filter for my walkaround 35mm lens as it is now covered in sea spray that I need to wash off before heading out again. Yesterday was another 12 km day, but today I'll probably jump past that as I will be walking all the way out to Ritsurin Park. Half of the 3x4 holders are empty and need to be loaded again so it's time for me to take a hot shower to ease the ache in these tired muscles, swath myself in layer upon layer, and then heave that 40lb bag up on my shoulders!

ps: Octopus is very weird tasting!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    ps: Octopus is very weird tasting!
    Ah, but the texture of Tako is soo nice...

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    Ah, but the texture of Tako is soo nice...

Matt

Yes, but it's very surprising when you don't have any idea what is inside the deep fried ball of meat

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Yes, but it's very surprising when you don't have any idea what is inside the deep fried ball of meat
    My collegues in Japan like to take people out for Yakitori (amongst other things). The big game is to let you eat something and then guess what it was. Comments like, "Most Americans don't like tendon" were common.

As I recall, Sushi is expensive--unless you get a Bento Box at the train station on your way home. Sabu Sabu is expensive, but there were other versions of hotpot that weren't so bad. I forget the name of the eel, but that is very nice.

Of course, if you are like many of my colleagues from the US and Europe, you may have already found the MacDonald's, the TGI Friday's...

Oh, and you will find that comments like, "My father was here in the 50's." or, "My grandfather was here in the 40's" will bring silence. At least, they did for me. It was a bit thoughtless on my part.

I have to say, my Japanese collegues were the best hosts I have ever seen. And, no, we aren't talking about the businessman entertainment that of rumor. Just a bunch of good family guys who took me in as a temporary member of the clan for a week.`

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi,

I have been following this thread for a while, just never get around to posting. I am an American ex-pat who has been a resident of Japan for nearly ten years. I am glad to see you are having a nice trip.

If you find yourself, in the northern parts of the country, (the Sea of Japan side), let me know I would be happy to show you around and take you to some places.

I will second the recommendation, if you have the chance please visit Nara and Kyoto they are well worth the time and effort to get there. I will be spending the Holidays at my inlaws in Shizuoka. I will base myself out of there doing some shooting around Mt. Fuji, and Tokyo. I might go to Kyoto for a day. If you are heading up that way, feel free to drop me an email and I would be happy to take you to some places that I know.

Have a nice visit!

Gary

Shooter
    35mm
    In Kyoto, there is a Canadian man who does a little geisha tour for English-speaking tourists. He's probably more knowledgable about the geisha culture than other tour guides because he's been married to a Geisha lady, and that's all he talks about during his 90 minute walking tour. I joined his tour with my friends (from the U.S.) last month, and that was a blast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeremy, how's the snow over there? I was in Kyoto today where I didn't see much at all. But its surrounding area and the rest of the country seem to be burried underneath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We got some snow last night, but it has all burned off today. Last night we ventured to a teryaki restaurant that did not have English or picture menus so we just randomly pointed.

I ended up ordering a fried rice ball, some sort of pork/stuffing ball, and chicken windpipe! It was rubbery and gristly and not too tasty. Good thing I know how to say "beer!"

After a couple of days of heavy walking with my pack I am starting to wear some holes in my old shoes, so I think I will be going shoe shopping in a couple of days. Also, today will be my rest and relaxation day so probably just a soak for the feet, legs, and shoulders in the tub and then some more photographing down at the wharf.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like you are having a total blast! Keep taking pics and sharing your experiences with us.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin