Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 916

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I ended up ordering a fried rice ball, some sort of pork/stuffing ball, and chicken windpipe! It was rubbery and gristly and not too tasty.
    In a barbeque-grill shop, there's usually a whole menu of internal organs such as liver. The great thing is they come in small pieces, and people enjoy the texture. I think some are chewy and hard to bite off, and others are soft and fraky.

I'm not a big fan, either. I can eat liverwurst in a sandwich or a piece of scrapple for breakfast, but that's about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I think some are chewy and hard to bite off, and others are soft and fraky.
    Flaky, I meant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ps: Octopus is very weird tasting!
    Hey Jeremy, if you get a chnace, try out an Eel restaurant if you can find one. On one of my trips there my hosts took me to one and it was fascinating. All items on the menu are some derivitive of Eel.

The wierdest was one of the entrees. "Eel spine snacks" Deep fried, salted eel spines. Just like corn chips really . . .

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time for the update:

Good news, I'm still alive! For the first time in about 12 years I rode a bicycle today and lived to tell the tale.

Not much photo news for the day as I only took the 35mm with me and didn't take many shots. I did have a nice day of shopping as I HAD to buy new shoes. In the three days previous I literally walked holes into my shoes and they became mighty drafty.

The new shoes came at a great time as I will be riding with Cassandra to Yashima Plateau to go sightseeing and photographing tomorrow. She has even graciously agreed to take some of load out of my backpack by wrapping up the LF camera in the darkcloth (with all of this wind, the blackjacket is a godsend!) and putting it in her backpack--maybe I can even weasel her into taking some of the holders, too

If you haven't had udon noodles before then also let me say that these things are fantastic! And finally, if you're a slim guy like me, shopping in Japan is a blast as all of the clothes finally fit... until you try on something with long sleeves and the sleeves are about 3" too short
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    Hey Jeremy, if you get a chnace, try out an Eel restaurant if you can find one. On one of my trips there my hosts took me to one and it was fascinating. All items on the menu are some derivitive of Eel.

The wierdest was one of the entrees. "Eel spine snacks" Deep fried, salted eel spines. Just like corn chips really . . .

Glenn
    I forgot about the spines...

I think thie eel is Unagi. It is very nice.
    http://www.bento.com/re_unagi.html

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you haven't had udon noodles before then also let me say that these things are fantastic! And finally, if you're a slim guy like me, shopping in Japan is a blast as all of the clothes finally fit... until you try on something with long sleeves and the sleeves are about 3" too short
    Udon is a great thing. My older son litterally lived on Udon for a couple of months (I still have half a case of Annie Chun's Udon Soup in my kitchen). Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) is another favorite in my family.

As to the clothes thing--the only "new" clothes I got to try was a bunny-suit for the cleanroom. Since my colleagues knew I was a bit tall, they got me an XXXL bunnysuit. Powder blue too. The sleaves and legs did fit. I probably could have brought your LF gear into the cleanroom inside the suit and no one would have noticed, though!

Again, they were the best hosts ever!

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Sanuki-style udon is thicker than other styles, and locals eat at least two servings per meal. It's just that popular. And you don't bite but swallow the noodles and have to make noise if you want to follow the Japanese tradition. I don't think your girl friend would mind you doing that.

About the shoes, the problem is that a lot of shoe stores only carry men's size up to 10 US size, that is 28cm. I've often had a problem with that because for sneakers, I'm 10 1/2.

For clothing, Japanese size is usually one size smaller than the U.S. size, but with different cuts on sleeves and the chest. When you have a too small M size shirt and go up to L, the chest size gets ridiculously big. And some US brands like J.Crew re-design their products for the Japanese fitting sizes.

I've found myself often too fat and my feet too big to fit in these Japanese sizes. Must been the food I ate while I was living in the U.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    I forgot about the spines...
    It says "a calcium supplement snack" on its package, and it tastes like oil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been a while since I checked in, but today I had a once in a lifetime experience...

Ever try to take the portrait of a WILD MONKEY with large format before? I have!!! And I do not mean in a cage, I mean actually wild, walking around, got close enough that he sniffed my face. Shodoshima was wild, but I really should have taken the bus and not WALKED EVERYWHERE with ALL OF MY GEAR! Gods my feet hurt, but at least now I know that I can hike with my gear if need be (it was 15km up to get to where the monkeys were).

I think the numbers come out to be 1000+35mm/digital and 50+ 3x4 sheets. This is an estimate a little on the low side and I REALLY wish I could have shot more LF, but my bogen 3021 with the shen-hao on top just wasn't heavy enough to deal with the huge wind gusts I was getting in many situations.

Oddly enough, when I return to the states I will be taken to a hibachi restaurant for dinner You can be sure that I will be having Mexican food for lunch the day after, though!
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-29-2005 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Been a while since I checked in...
    Where'd ya go?

Back yet?

Still in Japan?
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin