Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,763   Online: 936

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland Bound

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I envy you Bill. I have been to Scotland with the wife on 2 trips back at the tail end of the last century. Now that my kids are getting older I am hoping to go back (Ireland as well) and take the ULF gear. You do some really wonderful work and I look forward to seeing the results from this trip.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill: If it is available in the areas where you travel, you should also try Belhaven brews. Only two or three are imported into the Excited States (Belhaven Ale, St. Andrews and Wee Heavy, afaik), but there are more in Scotland, of course.

Les was however perhaps referring to the non-foamy libation, the Water of the Gods. One of my dreams is to travel Scotland, capturing its beauty on format and sampling the fine amber liquids. But I am afraid the latter would limit the results of the former.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    Les was however perhaps referring to the non-foamy libation, the Water of the Gods.
    You can see where my mind is going! Into each journey, a little rain must fall. I am hoping it will be less than more.

Thanks for the tip Earl. I will look out for the alternative Belhaven Brews.

Bill

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Is'nt that where the make scotch? If so, I better not go just yet...I have to finish the darkroom...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually I try to push people to the Borders or Galloway as well as the Highlands, but if you only have a week that'll be a lot of driving. So I would second the recommendation to head further north from Skye and spend sometime up beyond Ullapool or round the top end of Scotland.

Let me know if you'd like accomodation recommendations or cheat-sheet locations in Coigach. I usually take abstractions, but here's an overview looking north from Achnahaird:

http://web.telia.com/~u46133221/pics/achnahaird03.jpg

Take your wellies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill,
    as Les already said, Durness and the North coast is worth visiting
    or anything north of Ullapool:

The Summer Isles and the Assynth, all the Northwest-Coast is most interesting, rocks and sea...

Looking forward to your work!
    It is great anyway!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    I am excited to be headed for a week if shooting in Scotland later this month with the plan to roam the western coast, Skye and perhaps ferry to Harris/Lewis in the outer Hebrides. I have been in contact with Trevor (Yerbury) who lives outside Edinburgh who says he may come over for a meet and perhaps a day of shooting. Anyone else who might live in the area that might be interested in having a Scotland APUG day? Although I have not yet booked, I am planning to base for 1-3 days at The Skye Picture House, http://www.skyepicturehouse.co.uk/ run by Steve and Gill Terry. That may be a good place if so. I will be in-country from the 17th to the 25th with the stay on Skye most likely around the weekend of 20-22nd.

Also, it has been almost 25 years since I've had the pleasure of a visit to Scotland and, although I have a pretty good idea of where I want to return, I was hoping for any suggestions from those who know the area. I cover a LOT of ground at times while working.

Oh yes... I've heard about the snowy weather. I can only hope! I live in Michigan and am quite used to the stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bill
    www.billschwab.com

Hi Bill,

have a great time in scotland! I read in an earlier thread that also plan a trip to iceland to this year!? I'm an iceland fan. may I ask when you plan to visit iceland? winter, spring, summer? and what regions you prefer?

thanks!

manalishi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a small island called Seil just south of Oban that is well worth a visit. You get to it via a bridge and the polace is like a miniture Scotland all on it's own. Also, Ayreshire is very nice indeed. HAve fun and take care

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray
    Take your wellies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp
    There is a small island called Seil just south of Oban
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono
    Durness and the North coast is worth visiting or anything north of Ullapool
    Thank you all so much! I wish I had APUG around when I did a lot of my earlier trips. Judging by what I am being told, the north is the place. I've never made it further north that Stornoway on Lewis and now feel compelled to go first into uncharted territory north and work my way back into more familiar places. A lot will depend upon the weather as well.

Struan... I am always interested in cheat-sheet locations!

Quote Originally Posted by Manalishi
    ...may I ask when you plan to visit iceland? winter, spring, summer? and what regions you prefer?
    I am hoping to do the ICeland trip in September Manalishi. I was also hoping for a Winter trip, but decided on Scotland for now. I just need to get out there and work and figured less familiar territory would get the creative juices flowing.

My favorite places in Iceland would have to be in the east as well as the south coast near Vik. I love the area around Hofn. The only area I cannot speak of as of yet are the northwest fjords. Haven't been there.... yet. As for time of year... Spring has become my favorite, The place comes alive and the sound of birds is incredible.

Thanks again everyone!

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    I am hoping to do the ICeland trip in September Manalishi. I was also hoping for a Winter trip, but decided on Scotland for now. I just need to get out there and work and figured less familiar territory would get the creative juices flowing.

My favorite places in Iceland would have to be in the east as well as the south coast near Vik. I love the area around Hofn. The only area I cannot speak of as of yet are the northwest fjords. Haven't been there.... yet. As for time of year... Spring has become my favorite, The place comes alive and the sound of birds is incredible.

Thanks again everyone!

Bill
    Thanks so much Bill!
    have a successful trip to Scotland! I also like east of Iceland - have been there once - in Summer. May I ask one more question, how often have you visited Iceland?

best wishes,
    manalishi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin