Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,647   Online: 968

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland Bound

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Scotland Bound

I am excited to be headed for a week if shooting in Scotland later this month with the plan to roam the western coast, Skye and perhaps ferry to Harris/Lewis in the outer Hebrides. I have been in contact with Trevor (Yerbury) who lives outside Edinburgh who says he may come over for a meet and perhaps a day of shooting. Anyone else who might live in the area that might be interested in having a Scotland APUG day? Although I have not yet booked, I am planning to base for 1-3 days at The Skye Picture House, http://www.skyepicturehouse.co.uk/ run by Steve and Gill Terry. That may be a good place if so. I will be in-country from the 17th to the 25th with the stay on Skye most likely around the weekend of 20-22nd.

Also, it has been almost 25 years since I've had the pleasure of a visit to Scotland and, although I have a pretty good idea of where I want to return, I was hoping for any suggestions from those who know the area. I cover a LOT of ground at times while working.

Oh yes... I've heard about the snowy weather. I can only hope! I live in Michigan and am quite used to the stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bill
    www.billschwab.com

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Although I have not yet booked, I am planning to base for 1-3 days at The Skye Picture House,
    You will enjoy it there and there could be no better hosts to help you plan your visit. I spent a week on the island as part of a photographic holiday a few years ago.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You lucky devil Bill!

I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Joe Cornish's "Scotlands Coast"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...354923-4211050

He spent a couple of years on this project and covered a lot of ground. Although his style is very different from yours, you will be able to easily identify areas/locations from the images and text which interest you most.

HTH

Baxter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    You will enjoy it there..
    Thanks Roy. I've heard nothing but good things and have hoped to stay there for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter
    I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Joe Cornish's "Scotlands Coast"
    Great suggestion Baxter! Ordering as I speak.

Thank you!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill,
    you will enjoy Scotland! I always do!!
    You might get some impressions on my website ;-))

And the stay with Gill and Steve will help you on the Isle of Skye.
    Please send them my best wishes, we know each other from several visits each time we are there.

Oh, how I wish I could accompany you.
    Winter is the only time we have not been to Scotland so far...
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scotland, You lucky dude !
    While I live in Ireland I've never been to Scotland but would love to some day.

In the meantime I've just ordered a DVD by Charlie Waite called Seeing Scotland. Might be an idea for you to do also, he also shoots a v series hasselblad in this dvd.

Enjoy your trip!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Fin and Folker,

Thank you both for the tips. I will go check the Charlie Waite site.

Folker.. great work! I remember now seeing these back when we were messaging back and forth. I have never been in Winter either and have planned to the last several years. Something else always comes-up ad gets in the way.

I've been digging through boxes of 4x5 negs I did there back in 1983 and have been feeling a strong calling to get back. I may post a couple of these oldies to the gallery as they still hold-up nicely. This is a spur of the moment kind of thing, but my best trips happen this way.

Thanks again,

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill I'd love to meet up with you but I'm booked by IlfordPhoto to teach workshops in Mobberley and masterclasses in 3 Glasgow Colleges at the time you are in Scotland. The west coast is the place to be and if you get the chance go up to Sandwood Bay and on to Durness which is on the far north coast just along from Cape Wrath. This area, particularly Durness, is my absolute favourite part of Scotland.

Have a good shoot and don't imbibe too much of the local falling down water.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    In the meantime I've just ordered a DVD by Charlie Waite called Seeing Scotland. Might be an idea for you to do also, he also shoots a v series hasselblad in this dvd.
    I've always enjoyed Charlie Waite's work, his video looks interesting, but looks like it is only avalible in PAL (won't work in the US). He does have a couple of other titles in NTSC however (US standard). Thanks for passing along the link.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Bill I'd love to meet up with you but I'm booked by IlfordPhoto to teach workshops in Mobberley and masterclasses in 3 Glasgow Colleges at the time you are in Scotland.
    Les! It would have been great to toss a few back with you. Happy that Ilford has you gainfully employed though. If you are busy, it is a GOOD thing. Especially with Ilford.

...if you get the chance go up to Sandwood Bay and on to Durness which is on the far north coast just along from Cape Wrath.
    The very fact you recommend it means I will go Les. Looking at the maps just now.

Have a good shoot and don't imbibe too much of the local falling down water.
    Thanks Les! I can't guarantee anything on the latter though. Village public houses are my weakness. Do they still brew Younger's #3? A nice McEwan's will be good too.

Bill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin