Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,506   Posts: 1,597,975   Online: 1215

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, that's a good injection - that's what I thought about it, a protection of nation from anyone coming on the homeland to live and work there by the overflated prices. High work cost - high taxes - high social security payments (though even a best insurance won't cover a really serious case), all high-rated to protect the economy and local producer. A clever strategy, but the people who work are to carry all this burden on their necks. And as I know about Scandinavian countries (I worked in Sweden for awhile), people there (and anywhere) likes it cheaper - cheap clothing and shoes, cheap booze, cheap anything, and China offers the cheap and useable in multitude. Swedish people took trips to Estonia (in pre-EU time), Kaliningrad and St. Petersburg, carrying back suitcases full of cheap vodka and clothes - and that's with their salaries! And the EU currently limits the import of China textile, for example, because no one there want to buy the same made in the EU with the prices fourfold higher. The future would show what strategy would be better - the overrating of everything or many many goods for a small price. The concurrence from the Big East is growing every day, and I think that there would be changes in the financial policy of the EU and its members to preserve their own production.

And the army spending of Russia - well, isn't it just a bit bigger that the UK, and isn't it borderline a bit longer and more complicated? I am sure that in relative units Russia spends maybe 10% from the expenses of the UK. And in case of Russia those rebellious colonies and invaders are real - so the power has to be kept for a reason. What really makes me puzzled, is why the USA put so much stock to create a discord between Russia and the EU? Russia would once make a real joint with China and, say, India, and I am very doubtful that Europe would benefit from it anyhow. So maybe in our life we are going to see some biiiig changes in the world.

Cheers, Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Sorry to inject a note of reality, but the UK military consumes around 7% of total taxation revenue, the rest being spent on a whole raft of items such as the National Health Service (by far the largest consumer), education, social security payments of a multitude of types, police, the army of bureaucrats in Whitehall and elsewhere, local development aid, overseas aid etc, etc, etc....

Cheers, Bob.

P.S. Annually, Russia spends nearly twice as much (around $65 billion) as the UK (approx $38 billion) on its military. Mind you, that still makes the UK the 5th largest military spender in the world - gotta keep those rebellious colonies in check & you never know when the French might decide to invade - maintaining those Martello towers costs a fortune...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that maybe we're leaning towards a Lounge topic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    And the army spending of Russia - well, isn't it just a bit bigger that the UK, and isn't it borderline a bit longer and more complicated? I am sure that in relative units Russia spends maybe 10% from the expenses of the UK. And in case of Russia those rebellious colonies and invaders are real - so the power has to be kept for a reason. What really makes me puzzled, is why the USA put so much stock to create a discord between Russia and the EU? Russia would once make a real joint with China and, say, India, and I am very doubtful that Europe would benefit from it anyhow. So maybe in our life we are going to see some biiiig changes in the world.

Cheers, Zhenya
    Since you've brought this up, I have to ask you a couple of serious questions in a friendly manner: Are any of your (nuclear) missles directly pointing at Japan right now? Or Japan is not even the slightest part of your concern because it's so tiny and has no major impact in today's economy.

As a Japanese citizen, I beg you: Please keep supplying us enough natural gas and give up on those two really tiny islands north of Hokkaido. But seriously regadless the history of the war between the two countries, is Russia looking at Japan the way things will get better or not?

Also will you manufacture any photo supplies and sell them to Japan at a friendly cost? In the current domestic market, we get ripped off pretty bad, and it's due to the old trade block or whatever it is. And I'm a bit jealous about China who gets all the attention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget that the average income in the UK is quite a bit bigger there than here, and that here the VAT is a 1.5% smaller. Local taxes in the UK can make a big difference selling here or there, even with the same production costs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey, dear tovarisch, if I only knew to where Russian missiles are directed now! It's kinda secret, I think But I doubt that Japan is regarded by Russia as a target - this direction should be too well covered by North Korea and China, of course

Gas is okay, as we can see from Ukraine story - but it's better forget about the islands. Giving them back would be regarded by Russian population as a high treason act - some wounds from WWI and WWII are not still healed, somehow. It's also losing power and space in the region, and losing money due to fishing limits coming. Also it can create a precedent when further question could be posed, like giving half of Sakhalin back to Japan. Germany doesn't even mind to want, say, Sudeten to be returned by Czechia, Memel by Lithuania, Koenigsberg and East Prussia by Russia? Russians are quite friendly to Japan and its people, but not in question of the islands - that's the echo of two wars. Old hatred, like the one of Stalin who said after hearing the news about atomic bombing: "We Russians (!) of older generation have waited for this moment since 1905". Personally I think that Japan could manage better those islands (making there a fine nature reserve, for example) - but again, Russian people, its educated and tolerant part, and its government are not connected in any way!!

Photo supplies, ahem... some of them are still good, and there's a good way to send Slavich paper to Japan - a Transsiberian railroad! It's very good and dirt cheap. And China catches more attention due to its size and human/natural resources, and again, because of very very cheap stuff

I love Japan really much, as well its photo supplies - Fuji is my favorite in almost anything, but... if we can't manage our own pigsty of government here, who except G-d himself could?

Cheers, Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Since you've brought this up, I have to ask you a couple of serious questions in a friendly manner: Are any of your (nuclear) missles directly pointing at Japan right now? Or Japan is not even the slightest part of your concern because it's so tiny and has no major impact in today's economy.

As a Japanese citizen, I beg you: Please keep supplying us enough natural gas and give up on those two really tiny islands north of Hokkaido. But seriously regadless the history of the war between the two countries, is Russia looking at Japan the way things will get better or not?

Also will you manufacture any photo supplies and sell them to Japan at a friendly cost? In the current domestic market, we get ripped off pretty bad, and it's due to the old trade block or whatever it is. And I'm a bit jealous about China who gets all the attention.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson
    Hello Tom,

Another possible example...

I was checking the price of Kodak 3.8l Dektol Powder Yesterday.

At Silverprint in London it is £16.74 for a pack.

At Fotoimpex in Berlin it is Euro 9.28 (£6.40) for the same pack.

Has Fotoimpex has made a mistake?

Barry
    It's perhaps a pity that the thread has metamorphosed into a Lounge thing. There are serious questions here. The EU has a single market policy designed to avoid just this very example of vastly differing prices. This can of course be distorted by shipping cost and more importantly by local taxes or not. Hence the difference in alcohol prices between the UK and France. Your more expensive bottle of wine in Tesco compared to Carrefour in France is not down in this case to an unscrupulous company but rests with the UK's taxes on alcohol.

It may be that photographic goods are subject to less local axes, VAT etc in Spain but I'd be surprised if this accounted for the differences quoted. The way it is supposed to work is that Ilford or any other EU company should base its prices on cost of production plus necessary profit. This should enable it to sell for a reasonable profit in both the UK and Spain. If we are paying what the market will bear and this is much higher than what it will bear elsewhere then in theory and with perfect market knowledge on the part of buyers and wholesalers parallel/grey imports will start to curb any excesses on the part of the companies.

This works in large markets such as vehicles and vehicle parts where companies found themselves competing with their own large dealerships in say Germany who were wholesaling back to the UK cheaper than UK dealers could buy from the manufacturing source and with companies who would ease the burden of ordering a left hand drive car from say Belgium and importing it into the UK.

Unfortunately in smaller markets this can fail to work. I have no problem supporting local distributors/shops in the UK who to stay in business may need to charge more than the internet sites who "pile it high and sell it cheap". However I do have a problem if higher prices are the result of a deliberate market distortion by the manufacturer.

There could be several reasonable explanations why the examples quoted do not indicate any deliberate market distortion and it would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

If however a company is rigging the market, so to speak, then this is a short term gain only. Any company whose consumers feel they have been "had" are liable to react. Companies underestimate the effect of consumers' sense of fairness.

If people didn't feel this way about fair treatment there be no Consumers Association or programmes like Rogue Traders and Watchdog on TV.

I wonder if Simon Galley would care to comment?

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey, dear tovarisch, if I only knew to where Russian missiles are directed now! It's kinda secret, I think But I doubt that Japan is regarded by Russia as a target - this direction should be too well covered by North Korea and China, of course

Gas is okay, as we can see from Ukraine story - but it's better forget about the islands. Giving them back would be regarded by Russian population as a high treason act - some wounds from WWI and WWII are not still healed, somehow. It's also losing power and space in the region, and losing money due to fishing limits coming. Also it can create a precedent when further question could be posed, like giving half of Sakhalin back to Japan. Germany doesn't even mind to want, say, Sudeten to be returned by Czechia, Memel by Lithuania, Koenigsberg and East Prussia by Russia? Russians are quite friendly to Japan and its people, but not in question of the islands - that's the echo of two wars. Old hatred, like the one of Stalin who said after hearing the news about atomic bombing: "We Russians (!) of older generation have waited for this moment since 1905". Personally I think that Japan could manage better those islands (making there a fine nature reserve, for example) - but again, Russian people, its educated and tolerant part, and its government are not connected in any way!!

Photo supplies, ahem... some of them are still good, and there's a good way to send Slavich paper to Japan - a Transsiberian railroad! It's very good and dirt cheap. And China catches more attention due to its size and human/natural resources, and again, because of very very cheap stuff

I love Japan really much, as well its photo supplies - Fuji is my favorite in almost anything, but... if we can't manage our own pigsty of government here, who except G-d himself could?

Cheers, Zhenya
    I feel rested and I think I can sleep well tonight. Thanks.

Fuji products are fine with me also. But generally the market needs more variety other than the big names, and the Slavich paper sounds good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think it's running down one's country to say that the UK is commonly known by us UK residents as "Rip-off Britain" because so many things here cost more than they do elsewhere. Even allowing for differing rates of VAT etc the differences can be quite substantial. Notorious examples are DVD's & CD's, but there are many others. I blame it on greedy importers & manufacturers whose attitudes date back to when being an island we were much more insular than we are today. But as someone else has said, with the internet one can shop around so if we choose (and I do) we can vote with our feet (or our keyboard)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that's a good injection - that's what I thought about it, a protection of nation from anyone coming on the homeland to live and work there by the overflated prices. High work cost - high taxes - high social security payments (though even a best insurance won't cover a really serious case), all high-rated to protect the economy and local producer. A clever strategy, but the people who work are to carry all this burden on their necks
    Ermmm... once again, a little reality... The UK is the largest destination for legal migration in Europe. More people from the new EU countries come to live and work in the UK than anywhere else in Europe - estimated at 150,000 in the last 12 months. 25% of all investment into the EU comes to the UK. 60% of all US investment in Europe as a whole comes to the UK. Hardly indicators of "protection of nation from anyone coming on the homeland".

The UK has the 2nd largest economy in Europe (Germany being no.1) and the 4th largest in the world. Also fyi, there is no "health insurance" in the UK - it is ALL free, paid for from taxation. Speaking of which, taxation is the lowest of all the large EU countries - Britain is in fact in 17th place of the group of 25 EU nations for taxation as a percentage of GDP.

It may be a language problem, but you seem to have very strong views about a country you have clearly demonstrated that you know nothing about, and for reasons that do not make much logical sense...

Ah well, such is life...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe its something about Spanish speaking countries, but I dropped by the (or an) official Kodak distributor in Guadalajara Mexico to find that their prices on film, or at a least large format, were incredibly cheap. A box of 50 sheets of 5x7 Tri-X (TXP) cost roughly $32, as opposed to $70 in the states. Weird.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin