Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,012   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    In Napa, be sure to check out the Volakis gallery in Yountville and Mum's Winery photo gallery. In Carmel, search out the Josephus Daniels gallery. If you get tired of fine dining and the touristy stuff, there is a comfortable family run Thai restaraunt in Carmel.

Jon

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    A couple more questions, folks.

We'll actually be in Napa and Carmel Feb 10 to 23. What can we reasonnably expect in terms of weather. Is the rainy season winding down by then ?

Also, is a one day trip to Yosemite (from Carmel) a reasonable exercise? This, in terms of having enough time to see Bridal Veil, El Capitan and half dome maybe?

Thanks again guys.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Feb. can be stormy sometimes, some years dry. It's usually nice between the storms, though. Yes, go see Yosemite Valley. It is worth the drive.

Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Daniel,

Carmel to Yosemite and back in one day will be lots of time on the road. Especially if the weather is rainy or snowy. Consider spending a night in Yosemite, if you can. The Yosemite Lodge is ~$100 a night in the winter. Maybe more, it's been a couple years since I've stayed there. Winter is the best time to be in Yosemite, IMO.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Take your 8x10. You will be sad that you did not!

Also, you will want to spend more then 1 day in Yosemite. Its too far of a drive to only spend one day there.

Make sure you go to the weston gallery and gallery west on Carmel.

Point Lobos is always a fun place to shoot. Make sure you go out towards the coves and beaches, as many people over look that area and there is more images to me made out there...then on the point area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh man Bruce, I totally forgot about that one even though I tend to go there every Tuesday. Yeah since the new owners took over some time ago, the food has gotten even better. Bring a bunch of quarters for parking meters on the wharf. Entry to Wharf II is at the corner of Del Monte and Figueroa streets. Avoid the diner next to the Sand Bar, however. No bueno.

Hey Daniel, skip Napa and explore the wineries in Carmel Valley and south Monterey County like Soledad, Greenfield, etc. Masters of Food and Wine at the Highlands? I've been a couple of times, nearly by accident. I'd rather get a pizza from Gianni's on Lighthouse in Monterey.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein
    ...... Masters of Food and Wine at the Highlands? I've been a couple of times, nearly by accident. I'd rather get a pizza from Gianni's on Lighthouse in Monterey....

Huuuuhhh! Do tell, Mark. Do tell.

This year, one of the Chefs for the Friday night dinner is Charlie Trotter. My wife flew me/us to Chicago a couple years back on Valentine's day for the express purpose of having dinner at his restaurant. We had a memorable meal so we figured we'd go "have dinner with him" again while we're in Carmel.

So what's the story, Mark?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well. Just came back from our first California trip.We had a really great time and truly enjoyed our stay. Lots of terrific wine and food, excellent Inns, great weather, very nice people. Very impressed, we are !

Managed to see several fantastic photographs at galleries in Carmel and bought myself a very nice Roman Loranc photograph and met the man in the process... very nice guy and really talented photographer. I now understand why so many photographers live(d) in the Carmel area. What a gorgeous area to set up shop (but at these outrageous real estate prices, I can't see too many new photographers moving there, though!).

Thanks again, all, for the good tips and info. Can't wait to return and next time I'm driving down, taking all my gear and staying several weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roman's an incredible guy. a truck driver before becoming an established photographer. he's living in Modesto (California central valley).. where homes are *much* more affordable.

i own a large copy of Franciscan Church (http://www.romanloranc.com/images/franciscan_lg.jpg ). Whenever someone comes out with a digital 'replacement' for silver prints, i bring this print out. it's turned a couple back to silver

jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum
    .....i own a large copy of Franciscan Church (http://www.romanloranc.com/images/franciscan_lg.jpg )...
    Very good choice, Jim. They had one of the 20x24s of this one at Photo West for $7000. He is sold out in all other sizes. Also note that Russ Levin has one of Roman's "Private Road" in an odd 18x33 size going for a whopping $45,000 (on ebay). Its a real shame Roman won't see a penny of that $45K though and he probably sold it for just a few hundred bucks to boot. Such is the market!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin