Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My advice would be to hire a car for the duration of your time in Wales. Public Transport in Britain is not as good as it used to be. In rural areas it is almost non-existent. For example, when I stay in our cottage in mid-Wales (4 miles north of Lampeter close to Llangeitho) the local bus runs twice a week. The nearest rail station is in Aberystwyth, 15 miles away.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's lots of suggestions here but don't forget the National Trust sites too. The three that come to mind are Penhryn (just outside Bangor and off the A5), Chirk (just over the border and off the A5 too), and Powis (just outside Welshpool).

I agree about needing indipendant transport though - very important indeed.

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    My advice would be to hire a car for the duration of your time in Wales. Public Transport in Britain is not as good as it used to be. In rural areas it is almost non-existent. For example, when I stay in our cottage in mid-Wales (4 miles north of Lampeter close to Llangeitho) the local bus runs twice a week. The nearest rail station is in Aberystwyth, 15 miles away.
    Like I said in the beginning of the thread, I don't drive, so car rental is out. See, the problem is that I don't know how to drive and don't have a driving licence. And given that I have rather strong glasses ( -8 plus cylinders) and really bad reaction times I'm not really considering getting one either. Yes, it can be a bit limiting at times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's worth repeating: put on a rucksack and a pair of walking boots and stick your thumb out. I never hitch hike anywhere else, but in Snowdonia it's a doddle, even if you are not accompanied by a supermodel in a bikini.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't get hung up about poor public transport - it's not as bad as people make out. Most of wales has good bus services, and the rail service along the coasts is at least every 2 hours in summer ( a bit less in winter.) Also consider cycling (if you don't mind hills) there are plenty of cycle hire places. I often carry a medium format kit complete with tripod on my bike. In my opinion the blinkered 'can't do anything without a car' mentality is destroying our landscapes - try photographing the Llanberis pass on a bank holiday!

Rob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin