Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,600   Online: 972

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Wales and castles

Would like to visit Beumaris, Dinefwr, Caernarfon, Conwy, Carew, Harlech - maybe something else too, but basicly 5-6 locations for about 1 day (max 2) per location during an approx 1 week visit. I know one should stay way longer to do them justice but ... I can return and vacation resources are as they are I know what the weather in Ireland is like and I'm assuming Wales is similar? So I'm prepared to say "no reason for all this colour film, I'll shoot B&W of castles in rain instead" but it would be nice to minimize that chance. Any particular restrictions on visiting and taking photos in these castles?

Oh, and I don't drive so I'll be taking trains a lot I guess...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    Would like to visit Beumaris, Dinefwr, Caernarfon, Conwy, Carew, Harlech..... Any particular restrictions on visiting and taking photos in these castles?
    Caernarfon and Harlech are my favorites and perhaps easiest to reach via train. Conwy is also easily reached by train as I remember. Beumaris is very nice too as are all, but these in my mind are more picturesque and what one imagines castles to be. No real restrictions on taking photos that I know of, but my visits were pre-9/11 and everything might have changed. Be prepared for crowds, especially at Caernarfon depending upon when you plan to visit. Also... most have specific hours of operation and admission fees.

Have fun!

Bill
    Last edited by billschwab; 01-11-2006 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Portmeirion is a great spot photographically. Lots of interesting architechture, flora, and landscapes. There is a fee to get in, but is well worth it. As far as I know, no restrictions on photos. I went post 9/11, so hopefully nothing has changed.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracotype
    Portmeirion...
    Excellent suggestion!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can spend a lot of time waiting if you use the trains, and some of the smaller inland castles like Llanberis can be hard to get to. However, the area is crawling with helpful hiker and climber minibusses so hitch-hiking is easy, simple and in many cases faster than having your own car.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    Many of the best-known castles are illuminated at night (at least in June when I normally visit), and although you won't be able to go inside, there are some good external shots to be had. Carnarvon is particularly good, and if conditions are good, scoot over the footbridge for night-time reflection in the harbour entrance!
    If you're getting around by train and can resist the temptations of castles for a while, be sure to take the Conway Valley line from Conway to Blaenau Ffestiniog. It's part of the national rail network rather than one of the private narrow-gauge steam lines and so only costs a few quid for a return ticket. Blaenau is great for b/w photography - huge tips of slate waste towering over rows of smal cottages, and the underground trip around Llechwedd Slate Quarry (partly by train) is spectacular.
    Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy North Wales, but don't forget your waterproofs!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do go to Ffestiniog there is some fantastic industrial archeology photography do be done in the abandoned slate workings dotted about the Moelwyns. Some steep walking, but nothing too serious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a castle at Abergavenny, however, between Abergavenny and Ross-on-Wye on 'The Old Ross Road' (the B4521),there is a castle which is off the usual tourist tracks, Skenfrith Castle. I pass it quite often on my way to Wales because I do not use the motorways. It always seems to be lacking visitors and strikes me as a great spot for uninterrupted photography. It is also not far from Offa's Dyke.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Andy,
    there are stacks of Castles like Skenfrith in that area. I was bought up in SW Herefordshire & there must have been a good dozen all within easy cycle reach for teenager.

To answer Sanderx1's questions. As you will know, Ireland is wetter on the west than the east, So wales *tends* to get less rain than Ireland. So don't expect everyday to be wet. Having said that, if you get up into the hills the weather can change in 5 minutes. Bring some colour tranny/negative film as well.

As to the locations you mention, I must admit I don't know them well but I would expect 'professional' photography to require a permit. This usually equates to: are you using a tripod? Of course this is only relevant if you are on 'their' land. From a public footpath, car park, street etc. you can photograph what you like with whatever equipment you like (so long as you don't block people's passage).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    To answer Sanderx1's questions. As you will know, Ireland is wetter on the west than the east, So wales *tends* to get less rain than Ireland. So don't expect everyday to be wet. Having said that, if you get up into the hills the weather can change in 5 minutes. Bring some colour tranny/negative film as well.
    As he said, beware. When I went, the day started out overcast, started raining, and then turned to hail. It stopped long enough for us to get to Portmeirion, and then started raining again. The rain then turned to hail/snow/slush about halfway through our time there. All that said, I had a great time that day. And yes, take some color tranny film. And a good raincoat.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin