Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,448   Online: 706

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: England in May

England in May

I just booked tickets to London in May. I plan on staying one week in Cornwall and one week in Yorkshire. Stone circles and very ancient sites will be my main interest. This time I will take the Hassy and shoot B&W only. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ken

Images
    You may wish to take a look on www.amazon.co.uk and search for STONE CIRCLES there are many books on offer. May is a great month for blossom and spring flowers. The weather is often very changable so bring an umbrella!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Leon is the resident stone circle man. May is the best month of the year here.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken s
    Stone circles and very ancient sites will be my main interest.
    Ken,

I did a similar tour several years ago and the Stone Pages Website was a very valuable tool. See it at:

http://www.stonepages.com/

Have fun!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, May is a good month to visit: "April showers bring forth May flowers"... Spring is in full flood and the weather can easily be fine & sunny if you are lucky (or p'ing down with rain if you are not...). With two weeks to stay, you should get a wide range of weather...

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com is a useful resource for ancient sites.

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can manage a stop in Wiltshire on your way between Cornwall & Yorkshire you can see the best of them all viz. Stonehenge near Amesbury, & Avebury between Devizes & Swindon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Ken s

Sorry I'm a bit late in replying but I've only just joined this forum and found your postings - so I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I don't know Cornwall at all but Yorkshire is a great place for photos. Try Richmond and Aysgarth for the waterfalls. Try to get up onto the Yorkshire Dales for stunning landscapes and the Lake District isn't too far either so do try to get over there too.

Hope you enjoy England - 2 weeks isn't long and you'll miss oh so much. Jan and I will be going off to North Wales again this year - seen so much there - missed so much more ;-)

Ron

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken s
    I just booked tickets to London in May. I plan on staying one week in Cornwall and one week in Yorkshire. Stone circles and very ancient sites will be my main interest. This time I will take the Hassy and shoot B&W only. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ken
    Sad, that you are going all that way and not taking any color film, a shame really. England is such a beautiful country.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are travelling from London to Cornwall you will pass nearby Stonehenge and Avebury. Also if you get the chance check out Silbury Hill. The largest neolithic man made hill in Europe.
    I think you will get better photographs at Avebury than you will at Stonehenge. When I was a child we used to be able to walk around Stonehenge but it has since been stolen from us and fenced off.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    If you are travelling from London to Cornwall you will pass nearby Stonehenge and Avebury. Also if you get the chance check out Silbury Hill. The largest neolithic man made hill in Europe.
    I think you will get better photographs at Avebury than you will at Stonehenge. When I was a child we used to be able to walk around Stonehenge but it has since been stolen from us and fenced off.
    This is OT but does anyone know how many stone circles there are that have a road running through the middle? There is one about two miles away from where I live and I keep meaning to go and photograph it!

Lachlan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin