Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,431   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kauai

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Sorry to be obscure. Hanalei Bay is where they shot part of the movie South Pacific.

In Kauai you can point your camera in any direction and get great pictures.

Michael
    I got your point. Hanalei is not far from Bali Hai another spot from the movie - BTW, there are no "B"s in the Hawaiian language.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    I can see myself getting in some trouble not hanging with the fam. But I am on a mission. Do you think they will be tolerant? I hope so. Perhaps if I feed them drinks with umbrellas all day!
    What part of the island are you staying? I could give you more ideas if I knew that. For example, traffic between Lihue and Kapaa is real murder during rush hour (it is only a two lane road); that makes a difference in where you might want to go.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah - I highly recommend Wranglers restaurant in Waimea. They have great Teriyaki beef sandwiches!

:-)

allan

My wife and I always kayak up the might Zambezzi to the Fern Grotto and the waterfall.

It may be called the Waimei river.

I've always said if you can't take cool pictures in Hawaii, you suck.

I'm sure you'll do great. It's paradise, on earth.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    What part of the island are you staying? I could give you more ideas if I knew that. For example, traffic between Lihue and Kapaa is real murder during rush hour (it is only a two lane road); that makes a difference in where you might want to go.
    south side near or on poipu beach.
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

In Kauai you can point your camera in any direction and get great pictures.

Michael
    That’s the kind of location I need. Get up, stager around, shoot something, sit back down with another umbrella drink...repeat..

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

We have a Marriott timeshare on Poipu.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stayed on Poipu beach, at the Kiahuna resort, which is a condo rental place. it's actually directly adjacent to the Marriot (in fact, I even picked up the wireless signal from the marriot). Poipu beach is very nice, and is a great middle ground between the two ends of the island. Very short trip to Waimea, for instance.

I got some good snorkeling in on Poipu beach, too.

allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    south side near or on poipu beach.
    Good choice, that is where I like to stay. Poipu is on the dry side of the island. You will be minutes from Keoki's Paradise and Brennecke's Beach Broiler - Brennecke Beach is across the street - which is a good spot for drinks. The closest Starbuck's is at the Kukui Grove Shopping Center, about 40 minutes away (there are only two on the island).

Places to photograph in the area: Shipwreck Beach isn't far away, there is an old volcanic crater on the back road into Koloa town situated in what used to be a pineapple/coffee plantation (not sure what it is now). Just outside Koloa town, on the road in from Lihue, there is an old cemetery, dating back to the plantation days, which is quite interesting. There is the blowhole, also not far from Poipu. Over by Waimea town, there is the "Old Russian Fort" the remains of the Russians presence in Hawaii (probably about 30 minutes drive).

Kauai has always been my favorite island.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin