Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,033   Online: 870

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kauai

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Trip to Kauai

I am planning a trip to Kauai in about 2 months with the family. For them itís time to chill, for me itís time to shoot.

Looking for advice on must sees, on the island. I will not be taking the LF gear. Only 35mm. (ease of transport you know)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete
    "ÖAction always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Everything! North, south, east, southwest. It is a very small island. In 5 days you can see most. For two weeks you can see it all.

Here's some site to find cool places to stay away from hotels.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/kaucot.htm

This is where my wife and I stayed two years ago:

http://www.kauai-vacation-cottages.com/index.html

Aloha.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    I am planning a trip to Kauai in about 2 months with the family. For them itís time to chill, for me itís time to shoot.

Looking for advice on must sees, on the island. I will not be taking the LF gear. Only 35mm. (ease of transport you know)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know apuger Brian Kosoff was over there in November or December on the big island. Maybe he'd have suggestions as well.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a condo in Kauai (northshore by Princeville). You have to see Na Pali coast, Waimea Canyon, Wailua Falls and Hanalei Valley. This is the island and Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones was filmed on. Its all beautiful!!!!

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    PM me and I'll be glad to answer all your questions. I've been to Kauai a few times, it is only a 20 minute flight for me.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's too bad you aren't taking the LF gear. I can show you many thousands of images of this island, all taken with a small camera. LF there really stands out.

You've gotten several good suggestions, all worthwhile, all very standard tourist spots. I have three beach spots I like to shoot when over there:
    • Ke'e Beach, which is located on the North Shore (near Hanalei). This beach is fairly small and can get really crowded at certain times of day. But, if you hike just a little way up the Na Pali trail, there is a great overlook. There is a Heaiu (Hawaiian place of worship next to the beach, but I'm not sure if it is accessible to the public anymore. If you are adventurous, you can hike the Na Pali Trail to a secluded beach (the name escapes me at the moment) about 1 1/2 miles away, there is also a water fall not far from this beach. BTW, when in Hanalei, the place to eat is "Bubbas" - great hamburgers (they have a store in Kapaa as well).
    • Poli Hali Beach, at the opposite end of the island, is a wide sandy beach, at the opposite end of the Na Pali coast. This beach has great views of the forbidden island of Niihau. You have to drive to the southern end of the road, and keep driving through some old sugar cane fields on a dirt road to get there, but it is well known.
    • Kapaa. There is a small outcrop of rock just a bit north of Kapaa town, which I have found is great for sunrise shots. Although, this is a bit of a drive if you are staying in Poipu. If you are in Poipu, you can try Brennecke Beach.
    There are a lot of good places to eat on the island; the best in my opinion is Keoki's Paradise at the Poipu Shopping Center - you may need reservations, this place is popular. I mentioned Bubba's, they have two stores - good place for a quick lunch. Also try Duke's and Kilohana Plantation. One more hint, for breakfast, the local favorite is the Loco Moco - rice, hamburger patty, brown gravy and eggs.

BTW, there is usually an art show in Kapaa on the weekends. I know a couple of local photographers sell there, mostly digital/ink jet stuff, but it will give you some good ideas.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions you need.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just in Kauai a couple of weeks ago, though sadly for only 3 days of a weeklong trip to HI.

My only recommendations are:

-when going to Waimea canyon, go past the "Waimea Canyon Lookout" to mile 18. There is the Kalaulu (sp?) Lookout. Park there, then walk about 1.5 miles down the road marked "closed." It's worth it.

-check out the harbor and bay at Hanalei. If you can get there for a sunset, it's beautiful.

-drive all the way around past Princeville and Hanalei, too - there are a couple of cool beaches there, and the silhouettes against the sky can be amazing.

-Bring your polarizer and grad NDs if you can.

sigh. good times.
    allan

Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen

-check out the harbor and bay at Hanalei. If you can get there for a sunset, it's beautiful.

allan
    .........I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair...........and send him on his way.......

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all soooo much. This is great. I wish I could bring the lf gear but I think the hassles might outweigh the reward. Perhaps if I didnít have the family with me. You see the choice is LF gear or wife in the car at the same time. I guess I could leave a kid behind. Oh and Iíll have my folks as well. Hopefully I can plant them on a beach and shoot all day long.

I can see myself getting in some trouble not hanging with the fam. But I am on a mission. Do you think they will be tolerant? I hope so. Perhaps if I feed them drinks with umbrellas all day!
    "ÖAction always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    .........I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair...........and send him on his way.......

Michael
    Sorry to be obscure. Hanalei Bay is where they shot part of the movie South Pacific.

In Kauai you can point your camera in any direction and get great pictures.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin