Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,757   Online: 831

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay

Travel: If you are adventurous, you should drive the Dalton Highway....

Recommended Reading: Lonely Planet Alaska, National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways.

Good luck with your trip!

Regards,
    Sanjay
    Sanjay,

A dangerous road to nowhere, sounds great.

I broke down and bought all sorts of books today. but thanks for the offer.

John
    www.jandcphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    John, if you find all this too much .... then come to the "real" 49th state.
    I'll show you a lot of spots where you don't need to worry about bugs.

I spent 2 months in the 49th in the 90's while working for the government. I will come back some day and take you up on that offer.

Thanks
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd like to make it to the other 49th state as well. Though, technically, I've been there. I spent 3 hours in the Honolulu airport going through customs on the way back to the states from Australia in 1988. So when people ask if I've been to Hawaii, I have to say..."well...not in the way you mean by the question..."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For those who don't know what we are talking about, re "49th" state. President Eisenhower, in his 1954 State of the Union address, asked the senate to pass legislation making Hawaii the newest state - that would have made it the 49th. This became a bit of partisian wrangling, the Republican administration thought Hawaii would come into the Union as a Republican state, while Alaska would come in favoring the Democrats. It was such a foregone conclusion that Hawaii would become the 49th state, that there are many songs written and published celebrating it. However, after a big fight, Alaska was endorsed to become the 49th state, with Hawaii the 50th.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    For those who don't know what we are talking about, re "49th" state. President Eisenhower, in his 1954 State of the Union address, asked the senate to pass legislation making Hawaii the newest state - that would have made it the 49th. This became a bit of partisian wrangling, the Republican administration thought Hawaii would come into the Union as a Republican state, while Alaska would come in favoring the Democrats. It was such a foregone conclusion that Hawaii would become the 49th state, that there are many songs written and published celebrating it. However, after a big fight, Alaska was endorsed to become the 49th state, with Hawaii the 50th.
    Thanks for the explanation, Robert. I was not aware of this and was wondering why you referred to Hawaii as the 49th state.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To put a twist to this interesting thread...

Is there anyone that has had success while on one of those touristy cruises that are advertised out here? I'd love to find some time to visit Alaska, but I know that the only way I'd get the Mrs to go is if she can retreat to one of the coat closets that they call luxury staterooms on board a floating city...The mere mention of bugs will send her scurrying for cover.

This presents a major challenge for me. How to you find and photograph the uncommon, while on a well trodden route? Yosemite from someplace other that the regular perch overlooking halfdome, etc.????

If anyone has accomplished this in other parts of the world, please share your experience. Where there's a will, there's surley got to be a way...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    Sanjay,

A dangerous road to nowhere, sounds great.

I broke down and bought all sorts of books today. but thanks for the offer.

John
    If it's off the beaten path you're looking for, you might try contacting George Provost in Kotzebue, on the Arctic Circle. He's closer to Siberia than he is to Fairbanks. photopsyche@yahoo.com.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    http://www.mccarthylodge.com/

Great place to visit as I did a couple of years ago in September. Absolutely true that the bugs disappear around late August or early September. The weather was perfect, the leaves were turning and we experienced the first snow. There's Kenicott about 5 miles away with some of the largest wooden structures (in arrested decay) you're ever likely to see that used to be one of the world's richest copper mines. McCarthy is a friendly if not unique town populated by a stimulating mixture of people from every conceivable background. The fellow tourists you encounter are as likley to be from Germany or Belgium as from the lower 48. I spent more than a few hours shooting pool, drinking beer and eating great food at the Lodge. All of this and you're at the foot of the Root Glacier and the Wrangell-Mt. Saint Elias mountain range. A flight-see arranged through one of the two local charters is alone worth the trip.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bug off

Yea, the mosquitoes don't quit. The road takes a toll on equipment also. I am now in Inuvik and have had one digital camera die and my rangedfinder is erratic. (( I will be going to Fairbanks if anyone is in the area and wants to show a New Yorker some of the real Alaska )

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    John,

The bugs hatch in the spring time. Most die off toward the fall when you get the first frost at night. But it gets better in the late summer when it gets drier. If you plan on longer hikes away from your car consider carrying bear spray on you. Apparently up in Alaska, even the black bears can get quite aggressive - unlike the black bear population in Yosemite that is somewhat accustomed to humans. A geologist doing fieldwork in Alaska in the 70ies was nearly eaten alive by a black bear. She survived but lost both arms in the attack. This may be an extreme scenario but be aware that these guys are around.

Best,

Markus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin