Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,836   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Going to New Orleans

I leave tomorrow for New Orleans. Do we have any members down there?

I am going specifically to photographic to progress of the reconstruction. I am meeting a photo.net member there on Thursday who is giving me a bit of a tour.

Any suggestions? Any advice?

(ps...I plan on watching the superbowl in the french quarter somewhere.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David, make sure you go check out "A Gallery For Fine Photography". It's right in the french quarter and is a great place to go look at photographs. The address and phone number is below. I believe that another photography gallery also opened next door as well.

241 Chartres Street
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    (504) 568-1313

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No members in NOLA or Biloxi? Really?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Living a couple of hours away from NOLA now but, I was born and raised there...always will consider it home. I saw this thread earlier and was going to suggest you go see some live local music (not necessarily at the "tourist clubs";Places like Maple Leaf, DBA, Cafe Brasil are better bets).
    Kermit Ruffins would be great to catch, though I couldn't find any listings for him this coming week. I hope you enjoy your stay. Let me know if I can help in any way, or make suggestions. Cameron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live just north of New Orleans...in fact, we'll be there today.

If you're going specifically to photograph the rebuilding or ruins left from Hurricane Katrina...be forewarned. There are those who are receptive to observers or 'onlookers' and those who are not. With family and friends all around us still dealing with what's been left behind, frustrations and tempers can flare. There is still a problem with theft ("looting") so I'd stay clear of areas that have yet to be populated.

There are now tour-buses that are taking those who wish to 'see' the devastation, to the specific spots that were hit hardest. That might be an option for you and whoever you are meeting there. If going it on your own...just a word of advice. Be respectful and be careful!!!

A Gallery of Fine Art is a place to visit if you're looking to 'view' fine art photography. Should you need film supplies of any kind (or access to a darkroom) while in the Crescent City, be sure to go to The Darkroom in New Orleans. They're great!

Most of all, enjoy your stay here in the Big Easy!!!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am going to be very careful and "mindful" of my surroundings. I mean no harm and will walk away if I am told to do so.

I am lucky enough to have made contact with two NOLA photographers who are going to take me around. They both lost their homes, darkrooms, almost everything.

I will show the utmost respect. I promise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am lucky enough to have made contact with two NOLA photographers who are going to take me around.
    That's good that you'll have locals taking you around. It will make a world of difference.

They both lost their homes, darkrooms, almost everything.
    There's plenty of that! You'll find a story at every stop. It's still overwhelming at times to still see the damage from a storm that left us over five months ago.

So many who have only seen the images through print or television say it's overwhelming once they actually 'see' it. I'm sure you'll get the same feeling.

We're supposed to have storms come through this evening and some tomorrow, but after that, you should have perfect weather for shooting.

Travel safe and enjoy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey everyone,
    Well today was my first day in New Orleans and it was shocking. I met up with fellow apug sam portera who took us to the 9th Ward. Absolutely terrifying. I can't believe this is the USA. Unbelievable.

No photograph, mine or someone elses, could ever convey the sadness and sheer destruction that took place here. The sights in the 9th ward are simply unbelievable.

Homes moved in the streets or onto other houses or onto other cars. Cars flipped over. Washing machines in trees. Clothing everywhere. Shoes everywhere. Childrens toys everywhere.

Fortunately, the smell is gone but the mud/muck that is everywhere is incredibly slick and is filled with who-knows-what? The knee high rubber boots I bought have come in handy.

I could go on and on put will save that for another day.

More later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The images that people see of these areas just don't do justice until you're there. You should have seen it right after the storm. While only slightly, things have improved, but still a long, long way to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dorothy is right. Unless you have lived through something like this, you really have no idea. I didn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin