Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,505   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If where you're going is north of Skye, then I agree that Inverness is the closest airport. You can fly there from Heathrow too(with BMI) depending on where you live. But bear in mind that the number of flights offered by each carrier each day is low and their timings aren't always convenient given that I guess most of us would prefer to photograph most of the day then travel back rather than waste the last day with an early departure. Depending on where you're going its entirely possible to get more photography time on your first or last days by travelling via Glasgow.

Having travelled in this part of the world a few times in late autumn, I can say that there's hotels/pubs with accommodation in Ullapool and Gairloch year round, but if you want to go north of Ullapool, hotels staying open all winter are scarce. So if you're not booking in advance don't assume that every village will have somewhere to stay in winter- they won't. Also I personally find I photograph better if I have my accommodation sorted out beforehand because it means not having to let anything else interfere. On a short trip in uncertain weather it would be unfortunate to waste a couple of hours of your best days finding somewhere to stay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henderson
    Also I personally find I photograph better if I have my accommodation sorted out beforehand because it means not having to let anything else interfere. On a short trip in uncertain weather it would be unfortunate to waste a couple of hours of your best days finding somewhere to stay.
    Wise words David, and thank you for reminding me of the importance of this. I always like a base to work from. I think I will follow Les's advice and take a look at VisitScotland.com.

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hope you have a great trip, Stoo.
    Please show us some images when you are back.
    Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annemarieke
    Please show us some images when you are back.
    Definately Anne, and Thank you.

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stoo, if you have the time drive up to Durness and go to Sango Beach it's my favourite place up there. If you do make please say hello to the place for me, I haven't been there in years
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you got sorted out so quickly with your travel arrangements, and fingers crossed that the weather is kind to you. Only other thing to add is that you should make sure you are fully equipped gear-wise. While there is a Jessops in Inverness, beyond there you may not even be able to get any kind of photo battery if you need anything special for your camera or lightmeter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We went to Isle of Skye and Ullapool in 2001, and flew into Inverness. As others have pointed out, it is a beautiful drive over to the west coast, and even better from Skye up to Ullapool! Don't miss it.

It's been 4 years, but there were certainly more than 1 flight a day when we went. Oh, I should point out that we went through Gatwick. Maybe that's the difference. The morning flight from Inverness back to Gatwick was a delight, with breakfast served!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Ullapool, I can recommend the Ardvreck Guest house:
    http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/hotels/ardvreck.html
    You can also take the ferry from Ullapool to Lewis, and shoot the Callanish Stones, Black houses, and more.
    Oh, now I have to post a photo from Ullapool.
    Now you are making me want to go back...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Always makes me chuckle when someone mentions Jessops. I can't imagine I would find alot there either! Thanks Peter. I'm stocking up the fridge.

Looking at the map as I write, Les. Boy thats North! I hope I make it up there. I must say that I'm really looking forward to this trip now. Have got some great viewpoints to check out.

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And thanks for the recommendations Eddym.

Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin