Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,987   Online: 852

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scotlands West coast...

... is beautiful!!

If you still have no ideas where to go see the thread Scotland bound by Bill Schwab!

Wish I could accompany you there ;-)
    Good light and good luck with the weather!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jessops? Is that Scottish for haemorrhoids?

Enjoy the trip, and I hope you get good light.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Joe Cornish has a new book on the Scottish coast, 'Scotland's Coast: A photographer's journey'. It is worth having before you leave; might give you a few idea. Warning: the pictures in this book exhibit an unusual characteristic, they are all in color.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all

I am the owner of the Joe Cornish book you mentioned Robert. I do love the glow of a Velvia Image, only other peoples! There is always a few rolls in my kit bag although they are probably out of date now.

I've just been going through the Bill Schwab thread and will definately be printing it out before I leave. Some great info in there, especially the detail that Struan Gray went in to. The map he mentions is on ebay right now.

Funny how you connected the word 'Jessops' to 'Arseholes' Dave.!!! I think they call it a fanny in the U.S. Just as appropriate.

All the Best

Stoo
    Last edited by Stoo Batchelor; 02-06-2006 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have a great time Stoo, and don't forget to share some of your images when you get back. Scotland is one place I've always wanted to visit, along with a return visit to England (I've only been to Cambridge, London and Dover).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a bit late here as real life has adopted a nasty habit of interfering with my internet browsing. Still, a couple of points on travel haven't been made yet.

First, Inverness only makes sense if you are headed to the Northern Highlands. For Lochaber, Skye, Arran and the Cairngorms Glasgow is probably your best bet, closely followed by Edinburgh.

If you are headed north and west (which I would recommend unless you want better guarantees of snowy peaks) you have to pass through Inverness if you want to drive there quickly. In which case Edinburgh or Aberdeen are quicker than Glasgow, especially if you get a cheapie fare to Prestwick. EasyJet fly to Aberdeen early morning or late afternoon, which might fit your plans better than the direct flight to Inveness.

On the other hand, pottering along the coastal roads from Glasgow, through Oban, Fort William, Mallaig, Gairloch and Ullapool is no bad way to spend your time.

March/April is the most treacherous time for avalanche and rockfall in the Highlands as the temperature can climb rapidly and without warning. I have been on climbs that literally melted out from under me, having been bombproof and solid when we set the first belay. Take care if you go offroad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Struan

Have booked a flight to Inverness. I am going to do the trip the opposite way as planned and start by heading North for day one and then work round to Skye on the coast roads. I'm Just looking at Digs etc as I write.

I can imagine the drive from Glasgow would be outstanding and knowing me , I would never arrive at Skye owing to the many photo oppertunities along the way.

Thanks for all your help.

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stoo, if you're planning to visit Skye, I can give you some good locations for photography (though the whole island is one big photo location!). I visit the island several times a year and never tire of it.

Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Anne

That would be most kind. I will send you a P.M

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stoo,

if you go to Skye you should stay with Steve and Gill Terry, who run the Picture House there (accomodation and gallery).
    Steve knows the best places to take images!
    Send them my greetings.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin