Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,673   Online: 989

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Scotlands West coast

Hi Everyone

I followed the thread of Bill Schwab's trip to Scotlands West coast with great interest and am about to book a flight to have a four day break in and around that area, Hopfully the first week in March. I just have a few questions.
    What is the best airport to fly to, Glasgow or Edinburgh? And how long can I expect the journey from the airport to be? Also, would I be better off booking a place to stay before I leave home or stay as I find?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stoo, fly into Glasgow if you are visiting the west coast. It is north of the city so you don't have to drive through it when you leave the airport. Some B&B accomodation will be closed for the winter but id you look at visitscotland.com website you will find accomodation. If you need any more help and info please PM me
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stoo, depending on exactly where you intend to go on the west coast, you might also consider flying Easyjet from Luton to Inverness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When did Inverness get moved to the West coast?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor
    What is the best airport to fly to, Glasgow or Edinburgh?
    Stoo,

I'm not a local so I'm not sure if it can be done but, if I were doing it again, I would try to fly into Inverness. It is only 1 hour from Ullapool by car. From Glasgow, it took me nearly 3 hours to get to Inverness. It may seem strange to consider the east coast as an easy route to the west, but the way the roads up there run, it was a shorter trip this way. Starting in the north and staying there most of the time, it would have been better for me to fly to Inverness over Glasgow. Especially if I had only 4 days.

Have a great time!!!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inverness is more central and it's also a very nice drive from there to the west coast, I forgot about Inverness airport when I answered Stoo's first post
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    ...a very nice drive from there to the west coast
    You said it Les! That part of the drive across the Glen was beautiful!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Inverness is very convenient, and also very cheap to travel to with easyJet. I always fly to Inverness from Luton when I go to Scotland (mostly to the Isle of Skye). The drive to the coast is beautiful, especially the Lochcarron way.

There are several car hire firms at Inverness Airport. easyJet has a deal with Europcar. You can book a car cheaper when you have booked your flight with easyJet.

Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another vote for Inverness if you can fly into there. It may not be on the west coast, but it's close enough and a wonderful drive from 'hither to yon'. I'm jealous of your trip. I'd love to be going back!

Cheers, Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fantastic. Thank you so much everyone.

I did'nt even know there was an Airport at Inverness! Looking at the map it is the obvious choice. I have taken all your advice and fortunately for me, Luton is my local Airport, so I have booked with EasyJet, along with the car from Europcar.

The only downside to it is that there is only one flight a day and it is an afternoon flight, so I would lose a whole day. It's swings and roundabouts though, as I don't have that long drive. I have managed to get an extra day off work, so a five day trip it is. Roll on the 6th March.

Once again, thanks to you all.

Kind Regards

Stoo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin