Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,460   Online: 891

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looking to go to lofoten myself later this year. been wanting to go there after a wonderful trip to the faero islands a few years ago. Hope to see the Norweigian blue parrot :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Norweigian Blue Parrot, the one that sleeps with it's feet nailed to the perch. A rare breed indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a lot of driving, but perfectly doable. You won't average 80 km/hr on many of the north Norway roads, even in summer, but all your places to stay are on the main trunk roads to moving between bases will be fast enough.

In general, July is high season for tourism, so if you want to stay somewhere specific you should probably book, especially if you want a hotel room with en suite bath. On the other hand, if you are flexible and happy to rough it in a hostel or tent you should always be able to find somewhere at short notice. There is a lot of bunkhouse type accomodation which always seems able to fit in one more person, although securing your gear against the (very low) chance of theft might be harder there.

The local offices of the tourist board have always, always, been fantastically helpful in all the parts of Norway I have stayed, so I would recommend contacting them when you want to move on.

The route from Trondheim up to Bødø is a long and dull day's drive, and on roads where the driver cannot just relax and engage cruise control. Consider dumping your hire car, flying north, picking up a new car there. You will be fresher for your first day in the North.

Cell phones seem to work everywhere, if you have a Europe-compatible model. Reception can be a bit spotty, but even in the moutains you can usually get a signal without having to walk too far. Norway regards the mobile phone network as a part of the rescue and emergency services, and climbers are recommended to have a standard phone in preference to radios or other wilderness comms.

The area I know best of those that you are visiting is Lofoten, so here are some specifics for there.

There are actually two Rambergs on Lofoten, one on Moskenesøya and one on the north coast of Vesttvågøya. The 'outside' of the islands has a wealth of skerries and sea cliffs that would suit your sorts of landscape, but I wouldn't use the Ramberg on Vestvågøya as a base for day trips. The 'best' mountains on Lofoten are at the western and eastern end of the main large islands, so if it's mountain peaks you want the one on Moskenesøya would be better. The second of my attached photos above was taken near there.

Vaerøy is a day trip by ferry from Sørvågen and well worth a look. A very odd mix of flat farmland ringed by peaks. You can hire a bike if you want to get around fast, but it is perfectly possible to walk up the road to the radar station and back without any great effort.

The wildest part of Lofoten is the eastern part of Austvågøya, where there are no roads. If you are a competent hiker the terrain is not too bad, but you need to know where to go because it is easy to get lost, or to find that your easy gentle slope is a vast slippery granite apron with a cold bath waiting at the bottom. If you want a local guide there is a climbing school in Henningsvær run by Thorbjörn Enevold (www.nordnorskklatreskole.no) who can either guide you himself, or can perhaps suggest others. It's a cosy place to stay too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PS. If you like to use topographic maps to plan your trips, there is a whole-norway atlas online here:

http://ngis2.statkart.no/norgesglasset/default.html

It goes to 1:5000 scale if you really want to get close, but there is no way to get more than a postcard-sized view.

Faster, and better integrated with a gazetteer is the oneline yellow pages/websearch at eniro:

http://kart.eniro.no/

Norwegian maps are works of art, but don't cover a very large area and always have the corners on interesting places so you have to buy four sheets. Many communes have published their own maps using the same data which radically reduces the number of maps you need to buy (Lofoten is three instead of ten or eleven), but they are usually only available to buy once you are on the ground.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Struan thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough advisory, I appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're welcome.

I was trying to think of a way of quantifying the driving times. The roads are good, but wiggly and you have to slow down to pass through every village and town. As an idea, when we switched bases from Henningsvær to Å in Lofoten it used up a day.

Have fun. I look forward to seeing some pics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I had mtgs in Oslo that are cancelled for 17 mai but I'm here in Lysaker just the same! Gonna hit the parade(s) etc as best I can tomorrow, anything esp worth shooting on Thursday before I have to head back to the States?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking forward to the results Brian! Be safe.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin