Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,894   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Road Trip to New Mexico

My fiancee and I are driving to New Mexico from Alabama over spring break and camping out along the way. I've been reading up on New Mexico and it seems between here and there, there are 100's of places to be seen. I had no idea how I was going to decide when I noticed this forum and realized I could ask everyone what there favorite area in New Mexico and any reasonable route along the way was. We don't mind meandering either That's the point. I counted and I think between us both there will be six cameras. (We're both photographers, but most of the cameras are mine ).

-Erin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    First question:
    How much time do you have?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took a wandering trip through new mexico about 10 yrs ago and covered the state from north to south. My favorites were Carlsbad Caverns, Santa Fe and Taos. So many places to stop and photograph between Carlsbad and the north. It took me about 2 weeks but I imagine you could do it in 1 if you really pusshed it. I'm jealous!

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live in Santa Fe. I can provide lots of info.

Images
    My first choice is the Chuska Mountain range that stretches from around Gallup NM almost to the CO border. Pair this with the Bisti and you have a life time of possible photos

I love the Chimayo and Truches(sp) area in norther NM, Eat at the Rancho De Chimayo after photographing the Sactuario De Chimayo. Santa Fe is nice too. Then I would say Chaco Canyon. White Sands is Nifty but not high on my list. Get into the Gila WIlderness and opportunities abound.

You could spend a life time in NM. How much time do you have and what are you looking for?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We have exactly nine days which seems like nothing, but a welcome break for two college students to do what they love We're planning on getting to New Mexico in two days hopefully and having five days there and then two days to get back. We're very Mobile, but when we arrive in New Mexico we don't want to have to do a lot of traveling from one side of the state to the other. So it would be helpful to have things within a few hours drive of one another. Although I'm sure we could be swayed to go out of the way if there was something we just couldn't miss. We're not looking for anything in particular. I've never been out west before and he lived there as a very young child and doesn't remember anything about it. So as far as what we want to see we're pretty open and basically up for anything.
    Thanks so much,
    Erin

Images
    In that case I would go to the pibrary and look at a lot of books about new mexico. Pin point places on a map that look or sound interesting and plan your trip from there. Five days is a very small amount of time. I, personally would choose the Santa Fe Taos area with only that amount of time. it is going to be pretty cold for camping. Well below freezing at night. Take that into consideration too.

When you decide on an area there are plenty of folks who can point you to great locations in that area.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would either plan on either side of I-40. Go north to Santa Fe and Taos or go south to White Sands and Silver City. The time is going to fly in the Land of Entrapment!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live just outside Albuquerque in Alameda. Be aware that a LOT of land in New Mexico is restricted from photography. White Sands Missile Range (not the national monument, however), much of Los Alamos County (National Lab), and many of the indian reservations. Driving through those military areas keep your camera locked in the trunk (US 70 & 54). Some tribes don't restrict photography, others charge a daily fee, others even ban the possession of a camera. One I know of doesn't allow tripods and they charge a fee. They each have different rules and fees. The best thing is to call the tribal governor's office beforehand. Some highways will take you through several reservations in just a few miles, so I usually keep the camera locked in the trunk when passing through.

Still, there are plenty of places to go. I do think the best views are way off the highway. A day hike into the wilderness can net some fantastic shots. This year there is no snow in most of the mountains so you don't need to bring skis. Just bring plenty of water and film. There is a good E6 lab in Albuquerque (Carl's Darkroom).

Doug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is plenty to photograph. I've never had a problem with restrictions or anything else. Taos Pueblo charges a $10 camera fee and $5 for the tripod. It's worth the money.

Don't worry. Don't panic. See you soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin