Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,104   Online: 1191

Thread: North Wales

Shooter
    35mm

North Wales

Hello all

I've been impressed with the amount of detailed information about stone circles and so on in the 'England in May' thread. Jan and I have been to North Wales many times in the past and we have visited most of the usual touristy places such as the slate mines and miniture railways. However, we're going back angain this year and I was wondering if any of you had pointers as to some of the less well known/visited places within the Barmouth/Snowdon/Caernarfon sort of area please?

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Clark
    Hello all

I've been impressed with the amount of detailed information about stone circles and so on in the 'England in May' thread. Jan and I have been to North Wales many times in the past and we have visited most of the usual touristy places such as the slate mines and miniture railways. However, we're going back angain this year and I was wondering if any of you had pointers as to some of the less well known/visited places within the Barmouth/Snowdon/Caernarfon sort of area please?

Ron
    How about the Lleyn Peninsular - that's not as visited as most parts on North Wales and is VERY Welsh (Welsh speaking too). Has a nice coastline. I also love Harlech. It might be well known but it always amazes me how few people there are on its wonderful broad sands. Also love wandering around Conwy,and its city walls and harbour, but I guess you know that. Have a nice time!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first thing that comes to mind in North Wales is the Great Orme copper mine. The largest prehistoric copper mine.

More sites are detailed here.

and more here.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've always had an interest in Wales, but so far the only Wales I have been to is New South Wales - quite a long way off.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you and your wife hillwalkers? If so, I'd recommend a trip round the Rhinogs. Very photogenic and usually deserted. There are some nice pics here:

http://www.touchingthelight.co.uk/rhinog/index.html

Just north of Snowdon and the Glyders lie the Black Ladders (Ysgolion Duon). Evil and dripping most of the year, they too don't get the crowds.
    That said, Even with the crowds I'd love to spend a day with a camera among the granite spears on top of Glyder Fach.

If you're not hillwalkers and climbers you might still enjoy things like the slate quarries at Llanberis for their pure graphic charm, and there is lots of scope for anthropology at the main climbing car parks in Llanberis and Tremadog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I loved the area near Conwy. In Llanrust (spelling might be off), there was a stone circle as well as a nice bridge. Somewhere nearby is a waterfall that was very pretty. I actually loved every bit of Wales that I saw and really want to go back. Though it's in South Wales, Tintern Abbey rates high on my list of coolest places on earth.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    dont forget Anglesey - its amazingly rich in chambered tombs and other stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas, the links to the sites that Andy posted are very usefull indeed. Niether Jan nor I are hill walkers though, in fact, Jan can't walk very far at all but thanks for that suggestion too.

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    Barmouth/Snowdon/Caernarfon is quite a large area! Themodernantiquarian, linked by Leon, is an excellent resource for stone circles and the like. He is right about Anglesey, it has more than its share of antiquities. It also has some beautiful beaches, impressive cliffs and mining ruins.

Back on the mainland I would suggest Lleyn as a good area for photography. Nefyn is particularly pretty; Abersoch has lots of posh boats and chalets or cottages of the well-heeled, while Penllyn (the far end) is thinly populated and more 'wild'.

Further South there are more terrific beaches around Harlech, and the Porthmadog/Penrhyndeudraeth area boasts two photogenic estuaries. I remember a lovely shot of the Dwyryd Estuary by Charlie Waite, it suprised me more because I thought I knew the area. However, you have to go hunting for that view (this photo is by Dave Newbould). The old railway line near Beddgelert is an easy stroll and the river Glaslyn and surrounding areas are very picturesque.

Barmouth and the Mawddach estuary is a fertile area for photography. There are great views above Barmouth and from the Precipice Walk at the top of the estuary, and the Cregennan Lakes above Arthog are worth a look. The old railway line on the South side is perfect for effortless walking or cycling along the length of the estuary.

You are spoilt for choice in this part of the world, though naturally it's very popular in the Summer months. For some inspiration you could browse Dave Newbould's website.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin