Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,874   Online: 1114

Thread: Krakow

Shooter
    Multi Format

Krakow

Hi,
    Most likely I'll be in Krakow, Poland during the first week of April. I would appreciate any photo tips you might offer.
    E.g., should I use b&w or color? Or is there any any particular film you would suggest?
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to take my LF gear there, so I'm looking for advice with respect to 35mm. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is worth to visit Aushwitz and Birkenau concentration camps I think.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was there for a very short time teaching in 1992. I took a guided tour of oldtown Krakow and Auschwitz. It was expensive then, $100 for each of two of us for one day, but we had a mercedes, a driver, and an interpreter who was a retired history prof from Univercentia Krakovia (sp?). It was truly a day I will always remember. Incredible photo ops and fascinating history. It made north american history seem like reading yesterday's newspaper.

We found out about the availability of the tour in the lobby of our Hotel in Warczawa (Warsaw).

We tipped the interpreter 20 and the driver 10. You'd have thought we gave them $100 each.

I have very fond memories of the people I met.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can arrange tours with guides at Aushwitz when you get there. I was there ten years ago and even though I was shooting color at the time, all the images came out in B&W. It's a a very sobering place.
    I was in Krakow last August and enjoyed the cities old square. There's an old cathedral there which is very dark inside but also very beautiful.
    Vavel, the castle where the Polish Kings resided is also an interesting site and guides are available there for tours also.
    My favortite place to photograph though was the old Jewish quarter. Across the river from Vavel, it's rich with textures and you can "feel" the history around you. There are a couple of very old Synagogues including one that's the second oldest in Europe. Also some pretty nice spots for a good meal (I'd recommend Ariel Cafe). For really authentic old Polish peasant fare check out a place called Chlopskie Jadlo (there are two locations, one on either side of the old town's square) and I promise you won't go away hungry!
    Another interesting side trip is one of the oldest salt mines in the world located just outside Krakow. There are incredible sculptures carved from the salt. It's truly amazing and well worth the trip.
    Enjoy,
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shoot whatever film you're comfortable with. You don't want to experiment with something new when you're traveling and may not be able to visit again.

Kraków is one of my favorite cities. Hang out and wander around. There's a lot of street life in Kraków. I usually do a lot of street shooting while I'm there.

The cross in the above photo has been restored, incidentally.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post

Shoot whatever film you're comfortable with. You don't want to experiment with something new when you're traveling and may not be able to visit again.

Kraków is one of my favorite cities. Hang out and wander around. There's a lot of street life in Kraków. I usually do a lot of street shooting while I'm there.

The cross in the above photo has been restored, incidentally.
    Lovely shot, David.
    I am planning a trip to photograph in Eastern Europe for this Spring and my nephew - who was there last September - mentioned Krakow as one of the "absolutely do not miss" cities.
    Strong endoresement since I only plan to visit a few select cities.
    Thanks for the information,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also some pretty nice spots for a good meal (I'd recommend Ariel Cafe).
    I would recommend exactly same place, not for a good food but mainly because of life music. It might be worth to make reservation to be sure that you will have table during the concert (klezmer band), this is cosy place. During end of June/beginning of July there is know and huge klezmer music festival in front of Ariel Cafe. The entire place is called "Na Kazimierzu", more exactly "ulica Szeroka" (Szeroka Street). There are lots of restaurants along this street and you will not be dissapointed by any of them.
    Also there are numerous art galleries in Krakow.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin