Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,529   Online: 1164

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I lived in the people's republik of NJ for 17 years. Upon leaving the iron curtain, I moved to Delaware. Granted, it is small, and nothing really in itself....BUT, no sales tax on ANYTHING (including vehicles), property tax is less than 1/2 what one would pay in NJ, and there is room to breathe abit. I won't even comment on the vehicular insurance in NJ........
    Also, I live 20mins outside of Philly, and 45mins from Baltamore. The Acella and regualar AMTRAK station in Wilnmington serves every train on the NEC, and it is a 12min train ride to 30th St. Station where you can pick up any train east of the Mississippi.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you wander around in the pine barrans you might be able to see the Jersey Devil!! If you catch him on film, you will be a millionaire! retire and move back to utah. Just kidding... Good luck with your move to NJ. I have been there only once, dint like it much and I always wonder why is it called the garden city.
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Large Format
    Manjo, That's Garden State. It comes from all the backyard gardens in Hudson and Essex countys. All the locals fertilize their tomato plants with ex-mobsters.

Ya know, it's amazing what you can learn here. We have lots of very nice Apug'ers too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Manjo, That's Garden State. It comes from all the backyard gardens in Hudson and Essex countys. All the locals fertilize their tomato plants with ex-mobsters.

Ya know, it's amazing what you can learn here. We have lots of very nice Apug'ers too.
    I thought it was the Garbage State. Hmmm... and I've been here since 1982? Gee, I guess I should've paid more attention!

The "Garden" part (as it relates to farms) is rapidly going away in Momnouth county. Developers buy up the farms and build huge tracts of starter castles and McMansions - with not a tree in sight. <sigh>
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some farms around where I live that are designated as "Preserved Farmland", which I assume means that these tracts of land cannot be build upon. In the four years that I've lived in this area, open space has been disappearing at an alarming rate, replaced mostly by sub-divisions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a huge scam. Rich people can hold onto their farms and pay little or no property taxes (farm rebate) and then turn around and sell it as a subdivision and make millions. Basically the locals are subsidizing the rich person's land investment.

I say once a landowner takes the farm rebate, the land should be zoned as farmland forever. NJ is at a crossroads now where this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay
    There are some farms around where I live that are designated as "Preserved Farmland", which I assume means that these tracts of land cannot be build upon. In the four years that I've lived in this area, open space has been disappearing at an alarming rate, replaced mostly by sub-divisions.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have spent some time driving through SNJ (Atlantic, Salem, Cumberland Co.s), and I must say that it resembles nothing like NNJ. I guess the 195 corridor is the dividing line. There are many historical places down that way actually - I've been researching the old bridges in the area; which are sadly disapearing as roads are reworked to handle heavier traffic.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    NJ?
    The Mafia State, The Soprano State, The Condo State, The Grid Lock State, The Asphalt In Your Face State, The Bird State, The City State.

Anything but the Garden State.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    It is a huge scam. Rich people can hold onto their farms and pay little or no property taxes (farm rebate) and then turn around and sell it as a subdivision and make millions. Basically the locals are subsidizing the rich person's land investment.

I say once a landowner takes the farm rebate, the land should be zoned as farmland forever. NJ is at a crossroads now where this makes sense.
    Thank you for enlightening me. I was blissfully unaware of this... quite a scam, I should say.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not quite the huge "scam" that it's made out to be. If you own a very large piece of property it can be taxed at the "farm rate" You have to work the property and have to earn $500. a year from the land. Some sell christmas trees, or board horses.

Now the locals have a nice view because of the "farm". The owners don't have to pay $100,000 a year in property tax for one house and a big field. When that farm gets subdivided the township will now start getting big tax dollars, true. But, with each house comes 2.2 kids. In NJ the average cost per child is $10,000 a year for school. Now that's $22,000. in school bills for, say $5,500. in property tax. So how is that a big scam? I live in Morris county. Lots of rich horse farms etc. I would much rather have the scenic open space with 2.2 rich kids, than a massive subdivision with hundreds of new kids and have to pay for a new school.

Be careful what you wish for. No I do not have a "farm", just a modest little house.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin