Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,226   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I suggest not driving all over the continent. For long-distance trips, there is really no advantage above rail or cheap flights. I would also suggest not driving in large cities. Every large city in Europe has a few spots where people play "crash into the foreigner who didn't realise he has to yield at this deliberately badly designed junction and get his insurance to pay for a new car" - admittedly a hilarious game which I have played myself in younger years (never got a new car though), but probably not much fun if you're the foreigner...

If you want some great landscape photos, by all means rent a car for a day or two and bundle the 4x5 into it, and drive over a mountain pass in the Alps. It's great, and not to be missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by komet
    Can I suggest not driving all over the continent. For long-distance trips, there is really no advantage above rail or cheap flights. I would also suggest not driving in large cities. Every large city in Europe has a few spots where people play "crash into the foreigner who didn't realise he has to yield at this deliberately badly designed junction and get his insurance to pay for a new car" - admittedly a hilarious game which I have played myself in younger years (never got a new car though), but probably not much fun if you're the foreigner...

Knowing that for long time drive only junk car and have insurance which covers only basic by law needs ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alsace, France is fascinating and beautiful. A wine valley that has changed hands between Germany and France for centuries; the people there consider themselves neither but have their own interesting mix of the best of both.
    They have a mime festival with carnival processions in July, where people come from all over the country especially to take part and watch. Not many tourists, incredible food and I believe the best wine in the world.
    [font=Verdana]Alsace [/font]

If you don't mind the cold; the festival of Venice can't be beaten. Fun photography - many tourists though.[font=Verdana]
    Venice
    [/font]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Wayne

You should not miss Rom, Firenze Italy, Lucerne Switzerland including a sighseeing tour on the lake of Vierwaldstättersee, Paris, Munich for the Citys, and a lot more.

Have a nice trip, Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try to take a look at the french Auvergne with a large volcanic region in the west and a superb region in the east called "Livradois-Forez". Specially villages like Saint Saturnin, Cunlhat, Billom or Olliergues. You won't regret it.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try to take a look at the french Auvergne with a large volcanic region in the west and a superb region in the east called "Livradois-Forez". Specially the little villages like Olliergues, Cunlhat or Billom. You won't regret it.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    If you have time, most of Spain is wonderful, even the over-touristed bits. A lot cheaper than Italy.

If Italy is on the must-do list, one thing to do is take the train from Genoa to Florence. On the way there, or the way back, do the quintessential Italian thing and hike the Cinqueterre (five little towns that hug the coastline). You can take the train between them, or get off at one and follow the clifftop trail (wide and well-paved) from one to the next.
    I would love to go to Spain but not this trip. The suggestion on the Cinqueterre I'll include as I have seen this on television. Isn't there a boat that will take you as well?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I would love to go to Spain but not this trip. The suggestion on the Cinqueterre I'll include as I have seen this on television. Isn't there a boat that will take you as well?
    I don't know about a boat- there may well be. I just did it via train, as it was February when I went there and a bit chilly for my taste to hike the whole route. Also worth a visit (although pretty well photographed to death) is Portofino. I forget which town you get off the train at to get there, but you get off the train and catch a bus out to Portofino. The hike up the hill to the old castle is worth it, although the castle is a tad disappointing - it is well preserved but not restored. The view from the terrace looking back at the town is very picturesque, and on the way back down, the views out over the cliffs to the Mediterranean are also quite nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin