Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,706   Posts: 1,482,838   Online: 1004

Images

New camera angle at Yosemite.org

Having lived in Yosemite for 14 years, I developed a good sense for what the weather is up to. But when teaching workshops, like I did last month, it can be advantageous to know a little more certainly what is up for sunset. This could mean sending an assistant up to a high vantage point for a look-see to the west. When the non-profit Yosemite Association chose to reorientate the webcamera on top of Turtleback Dome 180 degrees to point west toward the setting sun, rather than east toward Half Dome they saved us the time and gas for the trip. Combined with satellite imagery of weather systems on the major weather websites, it is now possible to be in a wifi hotspot or the Ansel Adams Gallery in the early afternoon and see what the cloud cover and weather conditions are to the west to plan movements for the remainder of the day. While not a slam dunk, it does improve the odds for gauging the potential for magic light on the valley icons without driving all the way up to Turtleback. With four cameras at different elevations, it is also much easier to see what the current snow level is. Check it out yourself at www.yosemite.org.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be keen on seeing the rig that feeds the film through the camera, into the processor, on to the auto-printer, and then to the scanner for automatic Web upload. It's gotta be pretty impressive.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    It is understood that only people who use film in their cameras are permitted to take advantage of this. If one considers it unpure to look upon such things, I suggest a phone call to someone who can serve as an intermediary on your behalf. If that is still considered unpure, I suggest speaking to someone who can call someone who can look upon such things. Go in good light... ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, their webcam time-lapse sequences are kinda neat - except for the lack of exposure control on the webcam.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I was just looking at some of my Yosemite photos last night. I went to Paris and have the web cam to look at from there and now that I have the Yosemite web cam I will feel closer than ever. I wear a pair of Yosemite socks every time I go walking. I can't wait for a return trip.

C

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin