Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,207   Online: 841

Thread: Hawaii in April

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Hawaii in April

Hi,

I searched the archives, but did not find the exact answer I was looking for, so I was hoping somebody here would have an advice about equipment, and locations.

My wife & I are going to Hawaii for the first time for 1 week in several weeks. We will be spending most our time in/around Honolulu. I was wondering what gear/film I should bring along. I am currently thinking about taking my Toyo 45AII, 72mm, 90mm, 150mm 210mm lens, along with a 6x9 roll film holder, and assorted accessories (filters, meters). Also I was planning on taking my Mamiya 645, with two backs, 45, 80, and 210mm lens. My color film will be Velvia 100 and Asita. For BW, I am debating between Ilford FP4, and Acros 100. (Also have TXP in the freezer as well) I would like to standardize on one film. I have never been to the tropics before, and not sure which film would be the best under the circumstances.

We are planning to do the general tourist stuff, Pearl Harbor, etc. If any one has any suggestions about locations (especially waterfalls, scenic beaches, etc) or about my equipment load please let me know. Part of me is debating if I should leave the Toyo or the Mamiya behind and stick with only one system.

As always any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Gary

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp
    Hi,

I searched the archives, but did not find the exact answer I was looking for, so I was hoping somebody here would have an advice about equipment, and locations.

My wife & I are going to Hawaii for the first time for 1 week in several weeks. We will be spending most our time in/around Honolulu. I was wondering what gear/film I should bring along. I am currently thinking about taking my Toyo 45AII, 72mm, 90mm, 150mm 210mm lens, along with a 6x9 roll film holder, and assorted accessories (filters, meters). Also I was planning on taking my Mamiya 645, with two backs, 45, 80, and 210mm lens. My color film will be Velvia 100 and Asita. For BW, I am debating between Ilford FP4, and Acros 100. (Also have TXP in the freezer as well) I would like to standardize on one film. I have never been to the tropics before, and not sure which film would be the best under the circumstances.

We are planning to do the general tourist stuff, Pearl Harbor, etc. If any one has any suggestions about locations (especially waterfalls, scenic beaches, etc) or about my equipment load please let me know. Part of me is debating if I should leave the Toyo or the Mamiya behind and stick with only one system.

As always any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Gary
    Hi Gary,

I live on Oahu, and I also shoot a Toyo 45AII, so I can pretty well answer all your questions.

I guess the first thing you need to realize is that Honolulu (which encompases the entire island) is a big city. There are approximately 900,000 people that live on this island, so we have lots of traffic problems, and very little solitude. We have a major problem with auto theft - so DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR - INCLUDING THE TRUNK (BOOT).

There are lots of beaches you can visit, mostly scenic, there are some waterfalls, but not really too many and they are not really very good. Probably Monoa Falls is the biggest, but you would need at least the 72mm to be able to get all of it in - you are just too close for a longer lens. There are a couple of other waterfalls, but they are pretty small.

Your basic equipment load sounds fine, although I would suggest a 35mm, rather than the Mamiya . There are places where the Toyo and the Mamiya will be too much - like Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona and the USS Bowfin (WWII submarine). Most of your LF lenses are pretty close to what I use - 80mm, 135mm and 210mm. For filters, I would suggest a 1, 2 and 3 stop neutral density filter and a polarizing filter as well. I'm not a B&W shooter, so you will have to bring what you like for that.

For film, I would suggest using Velvia 100 (not 100F), and make sure you bring enough because you can't get any here if you run out (the same goes for 120). 35mm film selection is also limited. I would suggest that you bring just color film, and a minimum of B&W - we have an APUG member who owns a camera store on Oahu, and she sells B&W. I'm not sure what she sells, but I could ask for you. I think she has at least HP5, FP4, Tri-X. Fuji Acros is also good.

I'll be glad to send you my phone number so you can contact me when you arrive. In the mean time, here are a couple of links where you can see my images of Oahu, and get an idea of what you will find:

http://www.trekearth.com/members/rot...United_States/

http://www.visionlandscapes.com

Hope you enjoy your trip,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sure this trip is long over - but I'd definitely mention hiking up inside Diamond Head - the views of Waikiki are incredible (and very photogenic).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QuillianSW
    I'm sure this trip is long over - but I'd definitely mention hiking up inside Diamond Head - the views of Waikiki are incredible (and very photogenic).

Actually did that, but my wife insisted that I spend some time with her, and a little less with the LF gear. I did take a few with the MF camera, and pics look pretty good.

Thanx!

Gary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin