Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,821   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Must shoots in the Palm Springs area of California?

[COLOR=Green]So my plans have changed due to flooding. Now rather than Beautiful Hawaii, we are going to my folks place in CA. Sand and golf courses. Nevertheless, there are things to shoot there as well. Anyone that familiar with shooting opportunities to make some suggestions. I don’t think I want to leave the desert. Just make day trips to the various locations.

I was so looking forward to those Pina Coladas.

Pete[/COLOR]
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Idylwild might be an option. There is a huge wind farm that's pretty surreal looking. "The Living Desert" is a pretty neat zoo. And, of course, those lush golf courses against the dry desert hills. The light is wonderful... I'd even think about shooting some color, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Joshua Tree is right in the backyard. You can spend a good day or two roaming around that place - home of the annual free workshop organized by the great Per. And while it's still cold the little snakies will still be hibernating.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in Riverside Peter, just an hour from PS..

I second Joshua Tree as one can spend an eternity there and find wonderful images. I was just there last Sunday (with Per) to catch the snow..yes, snow. JT is at around 4000 feet plus...and the next storm is brewing as I type.

Not sure when you are coming, but if soon, you may get lucky with the white stuff...quite pretty in the desert.

The wildflowers will be blooming there in April, depending on conditions.

Other than that, you can take the Palm Springs tram up to Idylwild (Mountains), though there will be snow up there for a bit as well..

An hour and a half away are the San Gorgonio mountains (Lake Arrowhead & Big Bear Lake), and Death Valley is around 4 hours, maybe five...long day trip...

The pass (60 FWY west) between Palm Springs and Riverside (Banning/Beumont area) has some nice scenery and back roads...or, the Oak Glenn area (apple orchards) should you take the more northerly 10 FWY heading west.

Oh, and all the girls in bikinis on spring break in downtown PS are always worth a look or stare, if you're timing works..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know exactly where it is, but there is a small museum about a half hour from PS dedicated to the sex life of the banana. It was really funny the time I stopped.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Looks like we will be there on Thursday, the 23ed. I'm think JT is a must, perhaps the tram. It would be cool to get some spring flowers, but I may be a bit early.

I'm not much of a golfer, especially now with the arm in a sling. It will be enough just to shoot with one arm.

I do want to avoid big city life, I generally focus on landscape, and then I prefer to shoot “without the hand of man” in the scene. No poles, wires, signs, etc...

Oh and I’m not big on snakes!

Pete

Frank Tibolt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The good and bad news is that there are so many places to photograph that it could fill a lifetime---one of the reasons I am considering returning . . .

Tahquitz Canyon---There is a good place but it is on a reservation. Using a tripod is questionable, but there is a nice waterfall a then a HUGE palm grove if you are up for the hike. Its going to start getting warm soon. April is naked weather.

The boulders up the Tramway might be good---but there might be snow . . . The Palm to Pines Hwy that goes South out of Palm desert is a great road. Sometimes there are hangliders. Anza-Boreggo can be cool. There is the Salton Sea to the East which can be cool too.

To the North-East is the 1000 Palms Oasis and Preserve. A one mile hile takes you to a big dune (that you can't walk on) and a big pond that reflects the palms---another favorite place---if for nothing else than a place to stop and eat a grilled cheese from the In and Out 5 miles south.

Morongo Canyon Preserve (near Covington Park)is nice. It is north on 62 about 20-30 minutes (fkn traffic). there was a bunch of rain so the marsh there should be full of stuff. Pioneertown is pretty cool---beautiful is more like it (go north at the WaterCanyon in Yucca---they have good sandwhiches and half-decent coffee) there is a nature preserve up there that I passed a few times but never went, I was looking for the back road to Big Bear.

Josh is the best bet though. 45min into town(get a burrito @ Santana's, and they are super nice at Coyote Corner) and another 10 to 15 up to the "good stuff" in the park. Key's view is great on a clear day, and makes you reconsider fossil fuels on a not-so-clear day (of course, my favorite view is only 3/4 of a mile from the west entrance---it is a secret though). One of the best places in the Monument is the Indian Cove campground and Rattlesnake Canyon (don't let the name fool you, I was never bittten there) there is a dried up waterfall to the South-East of the area---nice pools of water sometimes form. Blackrock is nice too. (A GREAT drive is to go up to Eureka Peak---turn north on La Continta Road and continue north when it turns to dirt---stay left or it will turn into a dirt bike trial (much prettier, but a ruined a car that way). There was a fire a number of years ago but I imagine it is quite nice now (it was nice after the fire too, just a little)

Death Valley is nice if you've never been there. but it really is a LONG way and you end up spending most of your trip in the car.

I am now starting a series of photographic guide books of the Morongo Basin---

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    oh, speaking of blooming thngs--- iw as here in January and ALL the yuccas were blooming---with a K2 it can be incredible. or a litle back lit color---you can kindof see it in my Pioneertown picture in my gallery---really nice

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell
    The good and bad news is that there are so many places to photograph that it could fill a lifetime---one of the reasons I am considering returning . . .

Tahquitz Canyon---There is a good place but it is on a reservation. Using a tripod is questionable, but there is a nice waterfall a then a HUGE palm grove if you are up for the hike. Its going to start getting warm soon. April is naked weather.

The boulders up the Tramway might be good---but there might be snow . . . The Palm to Pines Hwy that goes South out of Palm desert is a great road. Sometimes there are hangliders. Anza-Boreggo can be cool. There is the Salton Sea to the East which can be cool too.

To the North-East is the 1000 Palms Oasis and Preserve. A one mile hile takes you to a big dune (that you can't walk on) and a big pond that reflects the palms---another favorite place---if for nothing else than a place to stop and eat a grilled cheese from the In and Out 5 miles south.

Morongo Canyon Preserve (near Covington Park)is nice. It is north on 62 about 20-30 minutes (fkn traffic). there was a bunch of rain so the marsh there should be full of stuff. Pioneertown is pretty cool---beautiful is more like it (go north at the WaterCanyon in Yucca---they have good sandwhiches and half-decent coffee) there is a nature preserve up there that I passed a few times but never went, I was looking for the back road to Big Bear.

Josh is the best bet though. 45min into town(get a burrito @ Santana's, and they are super nice at Coyote Corner) and another 10 to 15 up to the "good stuff" in the park. Key's view is great on a clear day, and makes you reconsider fossil fuels on a not-so-clear day (of course, my favorite view is only 3/4 of a mile from the west entrance---it is a secret though). One of the best places in the Monument is the Indian Cove campground and Rattlesnake Canyon (don't let the name fool you, I was never bittten there) there is a dried up waterfall to the South-East of the area---nice pools of water sometimes form. Blackrock is nice too. (A GREAT drive is to go up to Eureka Peak---turn north on La Continta Road and continue north when it turns to dirt---stay left or it will turn into a dirt bike trial (much prettier, but a ruined a car that way). There was a fire a number of years ago but I imagine it is quite nice now (it was nice after the fire too, just a little)

Death Valley is nice if you've never been there. but it really is a LONG way and you end up spending most of your trip in the car.

I am now starting a series of photographic guide books of the Morongo Basin---
    Richard,

Thanks for the great info. And there is nothing like getting a dinning guide tossed in for free to boot. I’ll check out some of your snack spots and let you know how I did.

Perhaps you should do a picture book, “Eating your way through photographic Southern California”

I do appreciate the info, just poking a little fun.

Pete

Frank Tibolt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    oh, I forgot Las Casuelas on South Palm Canyon---There are two, but go to the little one that is further north---

A food and photography guide---that is one of the best ideas I have ever heard. You know they usually comp you if you tell tham that you are writing a guide book . . . I could eat for free and even pay for a photo trip---oh, the burger place in Cambria . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin