Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,623   Online: 1035

Thread: Lake District

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lake District

Hello, I am thinking of visiting the Lake District for a few days this April. I stay in London and unfortunately I can only spare about 3 days at most. I was wondering which town would be a good base camp from which to photograph the surroundings.

I cannot drive (I cannot drive civilian automobiles, at least), and so I would like to choose a location where several good photographic spots are not too far away. I can walk for miles, even with all my medium-format gear on me, but I'm worried about the short periods of daylight and the possibility of heavy rainfall.

Thank you.

Clarence

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't been in the Lake District for many years, but as I remember the weather is just what you said: "Possibility of heavy rainfall".

I stayed in Kendal - it was a school trip, so not much choise. If I were to go there again I'd aim for the middle - Keswick? Anyone local who can help?

Lake District looks rather like a scaled-down Norway in fact - are you sure you wouldn't like to visit "the real thing"?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Clarence

I live in Newcastle (on the other side of the coast to the lakes) and like you I do not drive, and I find getting over to the lakes on my own can be a problem.

You can get a train to Windermere, which is in the southern lakes. Another possibility is Ravenglass on the west Cumbrian coast. There is a tourist train from there that takes you into the mountains. If you get a train to Penrith you should be able to take a taxi or bus into the lakes (the town of Keswick is an excellent base).

Any of these options will probably take the best part of a full day of travelling from London, so your walking time in the lakes would be limited. However, if you can get up there then you will find it to be a very special place (even if it is raining)

Les

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keswick will be a good base, and consider the waterbus on Derwentwater will get you to the photogenic points around the lakeside most of which is accessible.
    A possible option for you to consider is http://www.lakelandphotohols.com/
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree with Dave. Keswick is the best place. Windermere is easy to get to because of the train, but it's not very photogenic and quite touristy. Ambleside is another option but again it's not that photogenic and is mainly a base for walkers. I'd catch the train up to Penrith and then the bus to Keswick. Sounds like a lot of your time will be spent travelling so you'll have to get up early According to www.thetrainline.com you could leave Euston at 06:46 and be in Keswick by 11:05. Although I'd be surprised if it's that quick!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware of Nancy Blackett, Terror of the High Seas.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Keswick will be a good base, and consider the waterbus on Derwentwater will get you to the photogenic points around the lakeside most of which is accessible.
    I would second that recommendation, Dave. I did a workshop with them in 2002 and had a lot of fun. I did rent a car to get there though (which was an interesting experience too).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've based at Keswick, but then I drive to places like Buttermere and Borrowdale (there will be buses though as these are popular destinations and Borrowdale is just down the valley from Keswick) as well as Derwentwater itself. I would suggest a walk around the lake at Buttermere - takes a few hours and lots of vantage points for photography, waterfalls, lake views - the view from Buttermere village across the lake to Feetwood Pike is a good one if the weather is playing fair, as is the view from the shore at Keswick looking towards Borrowdale.

Suggest you get a book or three from the library. FWIW, there are a couple of Lake District shots in my gallery here.

Are you aware of this (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/20524-apug-uk-spring-2006-gathering.html) thread?

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for the advice. Keswick really does seem to be the place for me, then. Unfortunately I can't join you during the weekend at the Green Dragon Inn. Have fun!

Clarence

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Thanks for the link Dave. I'm planning on going to the UK in 2007. I'll keep this one bookmarked.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin