Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1118

Thread: Central Florida

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Central Florida

Hello - We will be visiting Florida April 15-22 and are looking for rivers to canoe/kayak, particularly with palms on the river's edge or canopies. Places we have interest in are:

Flop buck creek
    Withlacoochee River
    Fisheating Creek
    Chassahowitzka River
    Silver River
    Myakka River

Does anyone have any experience on these? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Angela and Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    I was a camp counselor about ten years ago, and we used to take groups of campers to Fisheating Creek. From what I recall, there was some beautiful vegetation. Kayaks were fairly easy to maneuver. I don't know if the Lykes company is still making things difficult (they used to have fences right through the water to keep people away).

A bit north of there (in the Tampa area) you should check out the Hillsborough River. There is the state park that has some nice spots.

Images
    Myakka Park is as perfect for photography right now as it ever gets. The water level is down where you can walk comfortably through the woods, the wild Iris is in bloom, and the river is perfect level for boating. I was out there today, and I've never seen so many gators sunning themselves. Call ahead for cheap cabin reservations, or campground hookups.
    One day I asked a ranger about poisonous snake bites. She said that in the 70 year history of the park they have had only one. A kid brought a snake in to a ranger for identification, and when he reached for it it bit him. It was a pigmy rattler.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Jeff- Yes, Hillsborough is on the list. Bill- Can you recommend a place to launch the canoe? Close to the most scenic areas.

Thanks again

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aj-images
    Bill- Can you recommend a place to launch the canoe? Close to the most scenic areas.
    Most people launch from the area near the concession stand in the Park. You can get to the entire upper lake from here. There is a small weir between the upper lake and the river which flows into the lower lake and "blue hole", which is an area limited to 12 hikers/day (about an hour walk). I expect it's about as prestine as you can get. Have fun - I'd love to do it myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin