Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,783   Online: 737

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

?Washington D.C.?

Any labs and or photo supply dealers in the DC area 2000 Pennsylvania area or Georgtown University area, or the vicinity of the Washington Memorial area? I ll be walking.

Thanks

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    35mm
    Off the top of my head, I dunno. You might check Penn Camera's site and see where their DC shop is located. www.penncamera.com I think...

National Geographic's lab is downtown. I *think* they still process film for people. I'm not sure how close they are to the memorial area.

You coming up for the cherry blossoms? If so, be prepared for hellish crowds if the weather's nice.

Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are two Penn Camera Stores in DC. One on 840 E Street NW near the FBI Bldg 202-347-5777. The other one at 1015 18th Street NW 202-785-7366. The store on E street is closer to downtown. Not sure of the other one. I think they do some processing but not absolutely sure.

Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Try Pro Photo at 19 and I Street. Dick and his brother are expert camera repairmen, and have a good supply of APUG-type equipment. I've dealt with them on and off since 1991, and have always found them knowledgable and friendly. Good used gear, too.

Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Further, they have a marginal website, with contact info, at:

http://www.prophotodc.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pro Photo has a lot of overpriced used gear. I would not buy supplies from them except in an emergency as much of their paper and chemicals seem to be out of date. If you are looking for more customer service and pro-quality equipment, Penn Camera on E Street is the branch to go to. The 18th Street store is really a glorified minilab with some hardware so they can say they have it. If you want pro labs, there are two good labs in DC - Chrome, in Georgetown - 3247 Q Street NW, and Asman Photo on Capitol Hill - 924 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Asman is less expensive than Chrome, and is also on Metro, not far from the Eastern Market stop.
    http://www.asmanphoto.com
    or
    http://www.chromeimaging.com

I think NatGeo still accepts walk-ins to their lab, but I don't know for sure anymore. They are near Farragut North metro stop- a few blocks up 17th street. The Penn Camera on 18th is in the central business district area, and is within walking radius of your 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue specification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I think NatGeo still accepts walk-ins to their lab, but I don't know for sure anymore.
    Looks like they do: http://nationalgeographic.com/labs/N...bGuide2005.pdf

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks all,
    This is very helpful in planning...
    and some of these are in walking distance, I will probably be shooting in DC and NYC a month or more this year...most of it on foot...

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cherry blossom was awesome!
    I was there 3 or 4 days before the festival and cherries were blooming.
    Me and my contessa could walk around with almost nobody there and take lotsa pictures.
    I'll scan them one of this days.
    Mama took my APX away.....

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For processing, Penn's main store is E street, and I think they send everything there. The staff at their stores tends to be very knowledgeable, but often a bit abrupt. You might also want to take a run out to Dominion Camera, which is about a mile from each of the Falls Church stops on the Orange Line. They're a good, old fashioned camera store with labs in house. You can smell the fixer, and the staff are real photogs. Only place I know in town where you can walk in looking for something like a Series filter and not get a blank look. Falls Church is a small town, so there may be things you would like to shoot there too.

BTW, plan on either renting a car or taking some cabs if you are spending time in Georgetown. Metro doesn't go there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin