Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,139   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Valey of fire state park is great early in the evening. Also go to the Atomic testing museum right in Las Vegas (755 East Flamingo Rd)
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's also a little "town" called Nelson to the southeast, if you like mining sorts of things. A family runs it as something like a historic park.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Viva Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    If I rent a car and planned on short day trips, what locations are the most interesting? Subject matter doesn't matter that much, just interesting. I know about the OOver dam, any others within reason? My wife is in a medical conference and I don't drink or gamble these days but will be going to shows and such in the evenings. Not sure of the equipment I'll take yet it depends on what I'll be photographing. I heard some where that there was a Botanical garden in one of the hotels. I like plant photography. Any thoughts welcome.

Curt
    Hello Curt,

Have a great trip. I loved it! I would like to go back but next time I would want to spend at least a day or two tripping around with Mr. Wooten. Where he suggested sounds great. I was on another persons agenda which I didn't mind so the focus was mostly on the Strip and the Neon. I did get my tour of my beloved Neon sign Graveyard called the Boneyard but haven't developed the film yet. I have to pay a substantial location fee if I want to post those images, etc. When I can afford it I will. I didn't even know about Huntington Witherill's cool B&W Vegas stuff. Very cool.

The Bellagio has a very small botanical garden near the lobby and the Dale Chihuly Glass flower ceiling. What's great about the botanical garden is that there are these giant flowers with huge petals made of glass. Really beautiful. Have an awesome time.

BWKate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Kate, I looked just looked at the photographs of Huntington Witherill's and was totally blown away. I rarely see anything new that as a whole really sets me back. I will have to go back to the site and ponder. I was wondering what the location fee is that you have to pay. I am wanting to go to the boneyard also, do they have a fee for photographing the signs? Dale Chihuly used to live next door to my brother in law until he gained fame and moved to Seattle. Now his glass is all over the world and on cruise ships. I haven't been to Victoria in quite a while. I used to take the Princess Margarite in the days when it was fun to be slow.

Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Hello Kate, I looked just looked at the photographs of Huntington Witherill's and was totally blown away. I rarely see anything new that as a whole really sets me back. I will have to go back to the site and ponder. I was wondering what the location fee is that you have to pay. I am wanting to go to the boneyard also, do they have a fee for photographing the signs? Dale Chihuly used to live next door to my brother in law until he gained fame and moved to Seattle. Now his glass is all over the world and on cruise ships. I haven't been to Victoria in quite a while. I used to take the Princess Margarite in the days when it was fun to be slow.

Regards,
    Curt
    Curt,

Yes, you have to pay to photograph the signs in the Boneyard. It's part of the Neon Sign Museum and so it's nonprofit. Any money they collect goes into preservation. The tour fee is $50.00 per hour and we kept it down to an hour. If you want to use the photos for fine art prints or any web use then you have to pay $250.00 per hour location fee. You have to arrange it ahead of time with a lady named Melanie Coffee. She was really nice and you can email her at
    info@neonmuseum.org. The Boneyard is easy to find. It's off of Las Vegas Blvd. just down from the whole Fremont St. thing. The office is located at the Reed Whipple Cultural Center. Just turn left at the Cashman Center light. Just email Melanie, she's just great and the boneyard is so cool. I like any kind of ruin be it modern or ancient. I'm glad I didn't see Huntington's photos before I went to Vegas because I think what I got was totally different but I can appreciate what he did. There is so much there that it would be hard to duplicate. I've never seen any B&W of neon strip stuff.
    I will try to post some of my new stuff as soon as I can process it. I haven't been feeling well and I'm getting ready for my China trip.

All the Best,
    Kate Seymour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt,

When are you going to Vegas? I just finally processed my first two rolls of Hie from my Vegas trip!!! I'm so excited. They went through the xray machine twice with absolutely no effect! Everyone was right. Some people on apug said that the xray machine would not harm Infrared and no problem. Am I ever relieved!

Kate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Curt,

See if you can find a place that has that cracked ground effect. Apparently there some dry lake beds near Vegas that will have this effect after a rain. I've always wanted to shoot in that ground environment, but I need some scouting reports!

I've been asking around and all the feedback seems to be around Vegas for this ground effect.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

It s a dry heat

Art,

The dry lake is just south of Boulder City, you can see it from the road, many commercials and movies have used it as a set. It is within the city limits of Boulder City.....

From Vegas Take 95 south towards Boulder City-just before you get to Boulder City...turn south at the Searchlight exit...you will see it on your right....a popular place for model rocket launches, ultra light and private plane touch and go's, and rec vehicle fun, mid week it is usually vacant......there are quite a few dry lake beds in Nevada with the texture you are looking for...this one has easy access, it does fill with water in the winter and spring at times, and as it dries the mud cracks and curls upward....drive your vehicle right onto the lake bed.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Kate, Art and Dave, Kate I hope you start getting to feel better before your China trip, it would be ashame to miss it or go while feeling ill. My brother inlaw goes to China and Vietnam often and speaks Chinese. I am going to Las Vegas next month and will be very busy there. Sounds like your negatives will make some fine photographs. Art I like the cracked ground effect too, the Earth means many things to many people. For some the cracked ground is a sign of draught for others it is an artistic work of nature. Dave thanks for all of the directions and information about the surrounding area.

Many Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    35mm RF

Vegas baby

Just returned from Vegas. Should of bought the Leica MP instead. Anyway my favorite sites are the Valley of Fire with Lake Meade thrown in as a side trip, Red Rock Canyon, the Hidden or Lost valley is by the Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam, and then there are all the people shots on the strip and downtown. You can go on an Elvis hunt to see how many you can bag- my last trip I caught two. There is the house Elvis at the Imperial Palace. And of course the Liberace museum.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin