Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,466   Online: 930

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've flown in and out of both Beijing and Shanghai - never had a problem. In fact, on the trip to Hong Kong and Beijing last October, I had more hassle at the TSA security check at Newark Airport than going through immigration and customs anywere along the way.

Years ago (1971), I visited Indonesia, entering the country through a remote airport in Sumatra (Pekanbaru). I had been told that it was wise to have the customs dudes write the pertinent data on my photo equipment in my passport, and then stamp the page to indicate that it had all come in with me. Was that ever a mistake! Took forever to get them to do it, and then it was a major hassle when I went to leave because then they wanted to inspect everything on the list to make sure I hadn't sold anything on the local black market.

Since then, I just throw the bag over my shoulder and present my passport - and I have never had a problem with photo equipment since.

Although I do have a few "war stories" about other kinds of things that caused local customs dudes to have gas. Like the time the guy in Libya confiscated the copy of Ana Karenina that I had been reading on the plane just because it was in English rather than Arabic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74
    I have heard - but only anecdotally - about people traveling with Minox subminis having some additional scrutiny.

US customs had a form that allowed you to list and file your equipment in advance.

Many problems in the past had to do with trademark issues - bringing in an Asahi Pentax when Honeywell owned the trademark in the US.
    Perception is so funny. I mean people have cameras in their phones, but thats "normal" but a minox? Oooh! thats a terrorist spy camera!

The safety illusion joke continues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Perception is so funny. I mean people have cameras in their phones, but thats "normal" but a minox? Oooh! thats a terrorist spy camera!
    Being hasseled when you're setting up a view camera is the ultimate foolishness. Common sense tells me that the bad guys take pictures quickly then leave...they wouldn't spend 20 minutes composing an image on the ground glass, would they?

(But, as I mentioned above, I do have that "drug runner" look about me...)

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin