Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 837

Shooter
    Large Format

Swamps and sand dunes

I'm heading west next month via the southeren route. First up is some tupelo and cypress swamps along the Natchez Trace. Does anyone know of swamps along or near I-20 in Louisiana or east Texas?

Next will be dunes. I'm planning stops at Monahans, White Sands and the Great Sand Dunes. Any other ideas for along the way?

I was going to camp at White Sands but it's backpack only. Any known cheap motels in Alamogordo? Good food, etc?

Shooter
    Large Format
    As I recall, there are cypress swamps evident in many places along the roadway. (I traveled from SW of New Orleans up to Baton Rouge...not sure of the highway number).

I think that Canyon de Chelly is a magical place. Bisti Bad Lands south of Farmington NM is unusual. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado is impressive. There are impressive aspen stands on McClure Pass and Independence Pass in Colorado. The worlds largest marble quarry is located in Marble Colorado (near both of the passes that I mentioned).

A lot depends on how much time you have and how far you are willing to travel. Both the Arizona and Colorado sites I mentioned are the next state over from NM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compared to the North East, all of the motels in the Alamagordo area will seem cheap.

Another travel element to be aware of: West Texas and New Mexico get windy, and I-10 is subject to closure at times due to the dust. Having snacks and beverages in the vehicle can be handy, as the highway patrol usually herds everyone off the interstate at truck-stop locations out in the middle of nowhere.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can camp at Monahans (state park), will 2nd Cloudcroft - good place to stay.
    Along I20 in E.Tx, only place I can recommend would be Caddo Lake (another state park) and actually well worth some film. though a bit North of I20.

Can't help much East, though the Tensas would be good - just over the state line in La.

Have fun!!
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin