Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 890

Thread: Going to ROME

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Going to ROME

I'll be headed off to Rome a week after I attend the APUG Conference on May 14
    I'm open to any and all suggestions. Photo stores; sites to see; restaurants; nitelife. I'm taking my 85 year old mom so I won't be using LF equipment. My trusty TLR will have to suffice. Been to many of the major sites so would prefer info on some of the lesser known areas. Also if any APUG'ers are in the area would love to say hello; share a meal; or a cappucino. Really looking foward to this as I haven't taken a major trip in quite a while. I know I'm going to be burning quite a bit of film. Can't wait....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, Italy is not just about the buildings but also the people. I hope to visit Italy again soon. Rome is such a beautiful city and I just love the Italian people.
    On my next trip I'll be taking fast B&W and colour slide film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Peter,
    it is my beloved town even if I live in Verona....here two interesting links to have some suggestions to visit Rome:

http://www.romecity.it/EnglishVersion.htm

http://www.roma2000.it/visite.html
    For this one you have to learn a little Italian words :-)

I don't want to add any personal comment since you will not have studied the city....than I will be ready to reply to your questions :-)))))

Ciao
    Daniele

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

rome

Danielle-I'm already familiar with the Rome.it site and did book my hotel through that site. I will check out the other site and post back here. Thanks very much for the link....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

rome

Nicole-actually I'm quite familiar with Italy as I used to import Olive Oil from outside of Genoa. This area is where most of the oil is processed. Genoa itself doesn't get much play these days but I can vouch for the fact that is an incredible city unto itself. Remember that it was a center of power for many a millenium. It is worthy of a photographic journey itself. In the not too distant future I plan to stay in Rome and get an apartment so that I can do all my processing at my leisure.
    Yes of course people are so important; and you're right I should make an effort to coerce some hapless souls into posing for me. It will be a new challenge...
    Thanks, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter -

I'm envious!

Take long walks - Trastevere is a great place to get lost in. There are some beautiful back streets there. Hungry - just stop at the place on the corner. Doesn't matter which corner.

But when you are in the touristic areas - watch out for the pickpockets!

Have a great trip.

Louie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

rome

Louie-who you kidding? This boy spent 30+- years hustling in New York City. I'll keep my stuff on my back in a knapsack. I'll use my Mom for the lookout! It's going to be fun. Back streets are my main interest as I've been to the major tourist traps/sites.
    Thanks, Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin