Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,889   Online: 994

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffneedham
    Fort DeSoto is in St Pete, not Sarasota. It was ranked as the best beach in America.

I grew up in the bay area. Downtown St Pete is cool. Check out the yacht club. How about the docks in Tampa. Fishing piers are full of lively characters.
    Hi Jeff,

I was thinking of the military installation with the cannon from the Spanish-American war. I think that is closer to Sarasota than St Pete. But everything has changed so much. I attended North-East HS in St. Pete, graduated in '56. When I lived there the skyway bridge hadn't been built.

Jerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Hi Jeff,

I was thinking of the military installation with the cannon from the Spanish-American war. I think that is closer to Sarasota than St Pete. But everything has changed so much. I attended North-East HS in St. Pete, graduated in '56. When I lived there the skyway bridge hadn't been built.

Jerry
    I was wrong, it's in Tierra Verde, which is in Pinellas County. I refer to the whole area as "the burg" Sarasota is just on the other side of the bridge.

The cannons make interesting subjects. You just have to be there when the tourists are not. I've gone through countless rolls of film while looking at all of the different textures. Unfortunately, grafitti had become a problem the last time I was there.

Here are a few sites about the park.

http://www.fortdesoto.com/servlets/Page/home

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Hi Jeff,
    When I lived there the skyway bridge hadn't been built.

Jerry
    Hard to imagine (for me at least) not having the skyway. I've been that way when the bridge is closed for high winds, and that is a LONG trek around.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fort DeSoto is a fantastic site. I've shot stereo (Kodachrome) there a few times - too bad about the grafitti... I'm with Jeff on the skyway; it's been there as long as I've been here so I can't imagine what it was like before they built it. That thing always looks like a great subject, if you could only get out there safely...

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Fort DeSoto is a fantastic site. I've shot stereo (Kodachrome) there a few times - too bad about the grafitti... I'm with Jeff on the skyway; it's been there as long as I've been here so I can't imagine what it was like before they built it. That thing always looks like a great subject, if you could only get out there safely...

- Randy
    Ha, could you imagine stopping, getting out on the middle of the bridge and setting up shop. They would think you were about to jump.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I heard that the odd person had bailed out from that bridge, but I don't really think the picture would be worth the effort. Besides, if you missed the channel, you'd probably auger in the muck really deep - if you survived the inital imapct that is...

There are great opportunities for shore birds in this area if you like bird photogrphy. Check the county web site for hotspots. I've spotted quite a number of birds around there over the years.

- Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin