Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,286   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Donald for the info. I grew up in Kansas. Never knew there was that kind of scenery there. Word has it that when they started to build the interstate, people were in a panic. When they piled up dirt to build overpasses, no one had seen hills that high. (unless they lived in the flint hills in eastern Kansas, some of those are 200-300 ft high). Some of the farm towns might provide some old time looking shots. As long as you keep cars, Mc Donalds and wallmart out of the picture.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vet173
    Thanks Donald for the info. I grew up in Kansas. Never knew there was that kind of scenery there. Word has it that when they started to build the interstate, people were in a panic. When they piled up dirt to build overpasses, no one had seen hills that high. (unless they lived in the flint hills in eastern Kansas, some of those are 200-300 ft high). Some of the farm towns might provide some old time looking shots. As long as you keep cars, Mc Donalds and wallmart out of the picture.
    Hey, another Wheathead! Guess there's about five or six of here now.

The farm towns are drying up fast. Many of the old buildings with some style and charm are being replaced with the ubiquitous steel boxes. Economically viable, but no charm or style at all. However, there are some jewells left that are happened upon. Its just a matter of taking a few minutes to get off the highway and drive around a town that looks promising.

Don, didn't mean to cut your experience out of the picture. Glad you jumped in.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm taking notes here. I grew up in upstate New York and then moved to the Pacific Northwest where in both places I could walk out the back door and be in the middle of paradise. I've spent the last 30 years here in Kansas and I'll admit it's taken me nearly that long to develop an appreciation for this state. I love the Flint Hills, but I think I was most impressed when my husband and I headed south one day and ended up in the Gyp Hills. I'd have to say it's one of the most beautiful places in the state, and probably one of the best kept secrets.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy
    I'm taking notes here. I grew up in upstate New York and then moved to the Pacific Northwest where in both places I could walk out the back door and be in the middle of paradise. I've spent the last 30 years here in Kansas and I'll admit it's taken me nearly that long to develop an appreciation for this state. I love the Flint Hills, but I think I was most impressed when my husband and I headed south one day and ended up in the Gyp Hills. I'd have to say it's one of the most beautiful places in the state, and probably one of the best kept secrets.

Nancy, I agree with you that the gyp hills are among the most scenic areas in Kansas...Thank you for mentioning them. The area between Medicine Lodge and Sun City and Lake City is really quite scenic.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm

SW Kansas

While some may say the High Plains are rather boring, it's one of the very few places where you can look up and see an enormous sky. I've gotten excellent cloud shots while out in northwest and central Kansas, so there shouldn't be much of a problem getting those in the southwestern part of the state. As a proud Kansan, I'm glad to hear that you'll be driving through the state taking pictures.

P.S. The Smoky Hills are a great place to photograph as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Smoky Hills

Hi Travis. You know I've heard of the Smoky Hills, but I'm not really sure where they are. Would that be north of McPherson? We've visit Maxwell Game Preserve every now and then (another good place to photograph) and I'm wondering if that would be located in the Smoky Hills.
    BTW, I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump south of you, probably about 30-40 miles.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Travis. You know I've heard of the Smoky Hills, but I'm not really sure where they are. Would that be north of McPherson?
    North and west Nancy, around the Kanopolis area.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Travis. You know I've heard of the Smoky Hills, but I'm not really sure where they are. Would that be north of McPherson? We've visit Maxwell Game Preserve every now and then (another good place to photograph) and I'm wondering if that would be located in the Smoky Hills.

Nancy, I grew up south of Russell, Kansas and lived in Hutchinson and Wichita for years until I moved to Arizona a little over a year ago.

The Smoky Hills provide the basis for the name of the Smoky Hill River which begins in western Kansas (west of Hays) and flows through the Cedar Bluff reservoir and Kanopolis Reservoir to beyond Salina, Kansas.

The Smoky Hills lie along the course of the river and certainly are evident near where I grew up. They gained their name because at times there is an atmospheric haze when viewing them from a distance.

Another very scenic area in central kansas are the canyons of the Saline River drainage north of Russell Kansas. The canyon road can be accessed in only a few places as it meanders through the canyon toward the Saline River. There are places where indian fire rings still are evident on the hills overlooking the Saline River. A major indian trail runs from that region into sourthern Kansas. There is also evidence of indian activity along Sellens and Goose Creeks which flow from the south in Barton county into the Smoky Hill River to the north in Russell County.

Additionally there is evidence of the dugouts that the first German/Russian immigrants inhabited along Langdon Creek and Sellens Creek in the 1869-1874 period prior to the establishment of the Indian Act inacted in 1874. These can be found in section five of Fairfield township of Russell County. A really and sometimes scenic place to observe the history of the region.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you Alex and Don for your replies. Don, I appreciate you taking the time to share this information. It's so much more fun and interesting to know a bit about the places we visit. Unfortunately whenever we head west we usually have a destination in mind and rarely get off I-70. Next time we'll have to plan ahead and leave some time to take a few side trips!
    We may be heading to Kanapolis next Sunday to join my parents who are spending Memorial day there. Hopefully we'll have a little time to do some exploring during our short visit.
    I will definately print this out and save it for a reference.
    Thanks again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Howdy there. I've been in McPherson for about two years now and I haven't gotten myself over to Maxwell. I've heard it's a pretty neat place to visit from people around here. I really should drive on over there sometime. What do you like to photograph at Maxwell?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin