Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,639   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.C. ?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

D.C. ?

Recommendations for lodging in D.C. with transportation availabilty to the area of the WW II memorial area. I will be packing a really big camera so will have a small wagon or dolly with me....walking distance - up to a mile is ok and would be great. Also Dark room availability info appreciated...several trips in the planning stage.

Thanks

Dave in Vegas

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crystal City has many hotels and is on the metro, a few stops from the Mall. There are 11 hotels, listed at http://crystalcity.com/Dine_Shop_Stay. Rosslyn and Pentagon City are equally convenient, though Rosslyn is pretty hilly, so you may want to be careful about how far from the Metro the hotel is. All those are in Arlington County. The other main option outside downtown would be Bethesda MD.

I'm not sure about public darkrooms, as I use my own and the people I know who need them use university or school darkrooms.

What size camera are you bringing? When will you be coming?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    JW Marriott is a straight walk down 14th Street NW with a turn to 15th Street to see the WW II Memorial.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/WASJW

When you say "darkroom" do you mean one you can use personally, or do you mean a pro lab that can process your film?

Here's a forum discussing DC Darkrooms.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...id=006nGc&tag=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Capital Hill Suites is just across the street from the Library of Congress, Madison Building. Most LOC employees from out of town stay there.

Nothing fancy, but it does the job and the prices are not too bad considering the location; at least they were not the last time I was there a couple of years ago.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/gx/sea...opertyID=97504

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    ...area of the WW II memorial area. I will be packing a really big camera...
    Here's to hoping you post some of your photographs once made! I would love to see some ULF images of the memorial.

There's also a big Charles Sheeler exhibit at the National Gallery.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Recommendations for lodging in D.C. with transportation availabilty to the area of the WW II memorial area. I will be packing a really big camera so will have a small wagon or dolly with me....walking distance - up to a mile is ok and would be great. Also Dark room availability info appreciated...several trips in the planning stage.

Thanks

Dave in Vegas
    The HAY-ADAMS or the Fairmont is THE place to stay. Rooms are reasonable at $400 plus per night!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's always the Watergate.

When are you planning to come? Summer will be thick with visitors... Can't offer you a darkroom, but if you need a gaffer, perhaps my schedule will allow.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Depending on what format you're shooting, and how much you need to process, I MIGHT be able to lend the use of my darkroom. My darkroom is pretty small, but I've got sink space to be able to process up to 11x14 film in trays (6 foot sink). 8x10 in deep tanks, Jobo, or trays is very easy.

Hotels - the aforementioned options in Crystal City and Rosslyn are probably better bets. A friend of mine once got a fantastic deal at the Swissotel in the Watergate through Priceline. If budget is no object, there's always the Mandarin Oriental, which is a reasonable jaunt from the Jefferson and the WWII. Also, depending on schedule, I'd be willing to help out with logistics. One definite tip for shooting the WW II with a ULF - get down there before sunrise, because by 9 am the place is a zoo. Get it with nice low-angle cross-lighting, because as the sun gets up, the main plaza is totally exposed, and is washed out with glaring direct sun.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow thanks as always....I am checking all recommendations!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You'd better check with the Park Police about your tripod. I know they're not permitted at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. I've never been to the WWII site.

Any hotel within walking distance of the National Mall is going to be very expensive. The WWII Memorial is within spitting distance of the Executive Fortress. I'd make sure that whatever wagon or cart you'll be using can be taken on the Metro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin