Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Abandoned Greenhouses

I'm looking for locations of abandoned geenhouses, especially in the southeatern U.S. But any information is certainly welcome.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I'm looking for locations of abandoned geenhouses, especially in the southeatern U.S. But any information is certainly welcome.
    I have just done a twenty picture, 16x20, B&W series from 8x10 negatives of twenty greenhouses, six acres under glass, built in the 1950s, shut down because of the cost of heating in the early 1990s. Each house is roughly 100x300 yards. They are in an east west row roughly 1/4 mile from Lake Erie, so they have really weathered severely. They are not abandoned, but have changed function. The cash crop 6,000 tomatoes is dead, but every imaginable plant has grown rampantly in its place, vines six inches thick, trees through the roof, etc. Wild animals from rats to deer use it for shelter. All the ferrous equipment has rusted, wood has rotted and the aluminum has (what do you call that?) pitted - corroded. The family owning it since the 1860s still farm the land around it alternating between corn and soy beans. They use the buildings for storage. For liability reasons they don't want shooters inside and are VERY AGGRESSIVE about enforcing that. The former Sheriff is a family member. Broken glass literally flies everywhere in a wind. With permission you can shoot outside or in through the holes where glass was. They even have painters come and paint their interpretations.

In case that isnít interesting enough, they also raise a herd of 86 buffalo. Location near Huron, OH. Going there today to start a second integrated series in 7x17, B&W, contact prints. One of the photography professors from Oberlin College, Pipo Nguyen-duy, did a two year, 250 print, color photo study of the seasonal transitions, blowing up from 4x5 negatives. He did this after doing a study grant of Monetís garden in Giverny, France. Talk about contrast, fascinating site.

Cleveland west to Sandusky, Ohio was an intensive greenhouse area in the 1950s-70s. Several people seeing my first series have mentioned other somewhat smaller sites, abandoned or functioning in this geography.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Man, they just tore down two in my area in the last year or so. I always wanted to photograph them too, but just never got around to it. I'd love to see what you get when you have some prints to show around...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to dissuade you from your project, but if a greenhouse is abandoned, wouldn't it become a brownhouse?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rbarker,
    Would plural be greenhice? And would they travel in flocks, herds, murders or mobs?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Man, they just tore down two in my area in the last year or so. I always wanted to photograph them too, but just never got around to it. I'd love to see what you get when you have some prints to show around...

- Randy
    Here are a few.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g7a.jpg   gh8Ajpg.jpg   gh1.jpg  
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Not to dissuade you from your project, but if a greenhouse is abandoned, wouldn't it become a brownhouse?
    In B&W a gray house.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    There is usualy a lot of algae that keep it green (eew!), but lots-o-brown too!

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Here are a few.
    Great shots - I really like the third one of the overgrown door. I would imagine that there is a lot of opportunity for close-up work in these places. Thanks for the samples!

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on the state of disrepair, there are ruins of greenhouses on Cumberland Island.
    juan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin