Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,689   Online: 713

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Making my move...

...to North Carolina. Actually we're all making the move from here. My husband, youngest daughter and eldest son will be leaving our home state (Louisiana) this week for our new home in North Carolina. I've been telling everyone that Katrina made us do it Seriously...some of you may or may not know that since September 2004, my husband and I have been caring for our now 22 year old son (he's 3rd in line of our 6 children) since he was left disabled from a series of brain surgeries to remove a brain tumor. Michael is barely able to walk, usually uses a walker or cane to move from place to place, can barely see and has a feeding tube in place since he fights constant nausea/vomiting.

With all of these symptoms persisting and the loss of Tulane's medical staff from the storm last August, we were somewhat left with no choice. We've been searching for a number of months for a place that was willing to take Michael on as a 'case' to see how we could help improve his condition or just make life a little easier for him. Being as he was an athletic little boy who loved being in the outdoors, it's been quite difficult for him to be confined inside for such long periods of time. In addition to being an athlete in high school and an avid outdoorsman, Michael was actively serving in the USAF when the tumor was diagnosed in 2004. He had already been to Iraq & Kuwait and was heading back for a second tour when things hit.

In late April/early May, we made a trip up to Duke University's Brain Tumor Center in Durham. Without hesitation, they agreed to have Michael as a patient. We were more than happy and relieved!!

Reluctantly, I'm having to leave my 21 year old daughter here to finish one semester of college. It's quite hard as we are an extremely close family, but we know this must be done.

So, in two days we will be hitting the road with two large moving vans, a pull behind trailer, a small truck in tow and our daughter driving our full size van, up to N.C. (not to mention two unhappy cats who can't quite figure out what we're doing here!)

I'm also hoping that this move will help give me more time with my photography. The only draw back to the home we bought is that there's no basement or out-building for a darkroom. Of course, Bobby (my husband) and I will have to do something quick!!! We have to have a darkroom!!!

We are all excited and a bit nervous, but hope that this will open some doors for new possibilities in all respects for us.

Hoping to return to Apug soon!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a safe journey and I hope things get better for you and your family.

Best wishes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So sorry to hear about your son. I know what you mean about leaving your daughter behind... I had to do that too when we moved from Michigan to Wisconsin. Hopefully she will join you when she is done.

Good luck in your new adventures!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Good luck!!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Dorothy, sorry all this stuff has happened to you.

You'll love NC once you take a few night courses to learn the language.

Good luck.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wishing you the best Dorothy, I know you are making a sacrifice here, but it will be worth it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck with the move, Dorothy. It sounds like you've had a difficult couple of years, and hope everything goes well for you and your son in NC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the best with you move and hope to see you and your pictures again soon.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best wishes on your move. It's a lovely area, though the local accent takes some getting used to, even for another Sotuherner.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck with the move Dorothy and I wish your entire family nothing but the best.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin