Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,458   Online: 1056

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

History of Jewish Life In Berlin, Germany

In a couple of months I will be going on an extended trip to Berlin. Part of what I want to do when I'm there is to create a kind of photographic memory bank of Jewish life in Berlin. A kind of urban palimpsest of "remembrance of things past," preferably locations that haven't been worked over to death - little out of the way streets and places, etc.

There are, of course, official tours that one can take, but I was wondering whether anyone had any inspiritational thoughts, examples, links, etc.

thanks for the assistance.

ricardo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I'll tell you a little horror story.

Berlin, Oktober 1990.

I had to return the hire car so I dropped my wife at the station (Berlin Zoo -- this was before the Hauptbahnhof returned to being the main station).

When I got back, she was in tears. A couple of young Berliners had seen her surrounded with heavy suitcases and shouted (I translate), "Ha ha! Where are you going? Auschwitz?"

You may not have to look too hard...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

very sad

ignorant, low life cowards...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Forget it. It was just a tasteless joke. The problem here is that it apparently hurt someone.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Berlin is not exactly the kind of city where time stands still. It is hard to even find anything remaining of the Soviet regime or U.S. presence now. Or find out where the wall once was. They drew a line on the street in some places to remember that.

I'm sure you can find some old stuff but probably not what you are looking for. Berlin is big.

You may want to contact the local Jewish community.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin